Commutation relation of the position and momentum operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of non-commutativity in quantum mechanics, specifically regarding the position and momentum operators. The conversation also touches on the use of the product rule and recommends some books for further understanding of the topic.
Newbie says Hi

Homework Statement

I've just initiated a self-study on quantum mechanics and am in need of a little help.

The position and momentum operators do not commute. According to my book which attemps to demonstrate this property,
(1) [tex]\hat{p} \hat{x} \psi = \hat{p} x \psi = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x \psi)[/tex]

OK, so far I was following. I'm not understaing how they get to this next equation from the previous one...
(2) [tex] = -i \hbar \left( \psi + x \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

To be more precise, where did the second psi symbol come from and where did the + symbol come from in equation 2?

Homework Equations

[tex] \hat{x} = x [/tex]
[tex] \hat{p} = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempt to multiply the momentum and position operators, I get:
(3) [tex] \hat{p} \hat{x} \psi = \hat{p} x \psi = \left( -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) x \psi [/tex]

But how do I go from equation 3 and arrive at equation 2? Or can I?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
psi also depends on x. This leads to the second derivative.
You may need a live teacher to learn QM.

Meir Achuz said:
psi also depends on x. This leads to the second derivative.
You may need a live teacher to learn QM.

OK, I understand the first part, but I am not following why it "leads to the second derivative." Could you please explain in more detail? Or preferably, could you show me the next few steps after equation (1)?

What book are you using ? Throw it away. One postulates the commutation relations, they cannot be proved.

dextercioby said:
What book are you using ? Throw it away. One postulates the commutation relations, they cannot be proved.

The author of the book is demonstrating that [tex] \hat{p} \hat{x} \psi does NOT equal \hat{x} \hat{p} \psi [/tex] .

Sorry if I miscommunicated this point in the first post.

I understand the solution to why [tex] \hat{x} \hat{p} \psi [/tex] equals what it equals. My question just has to do with how the author gets the solution that he does for the [tex] \hat{p} \hat{x} \psi [/tex]

Are you asking how you get from the left to the right hand side of this? [tex]\left( -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) x \psi = -i \hbar \left( \psi + x \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)[/tex].

If so, then note that [itex]x\psi[/itex] is a product, each of which is dependent on x, and so we must use the product rule. So, starting from the left [tex]\left( -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) x \psi =-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x\psi)=-i\hbar(x\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}+\psi)[/tex]

Last edited:
Newbie says Hi said:

Homework Statement

I've just initiated a self-study on quantum mechanics and am in need of a little help.

The position and momentum operators do not commute. According to my book which attemps to demonstrate this property,
(1) [tex]\hat{p} \hat{x} \psi = \hat{p} x \psi = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x \psi)[/tex]

OK, so far I was following. I'm not understaing how they get to this next equation from the previous one...
(2) [tex] = -i \hbar \left( \psi + x \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

To be more precise, where did the second psi symbol come from and where did the + symbol come from in equation 2?
It's simply the product rule. If [itex] f (x) [/itex] is a function of x, then [tex] \frac{d}{dx} ( x f(x) ) = 1 \times f(x) + x \times \frac{df(x)}{dx} [/tex]
, right?

What book are you using? I would highly recommend Shankar and, as a supplement, Griffiths.

Great. Thanks a LOT cristo and nrqed!

I love this site! :)

nrqed said:
What book are you using? I would highly recommend Shankar and, as a supplement, Griffiths.

I am currently using two books: "Quantum Mechanics for Undergraduates" by Norbury as well as Griffiths (both books use the same template and complement each other strongly). I also have Shankar, however, after going through the first chapter, I found it was too math heavy... perhaps it is aimed at graduates?

1. What is the commutation relation of the position and momentum operators?

The commutation relation of the position and momentum operators is given by [x, p] = xp - px = iħ, where x is the position operator, p is the momentum operator, and i is the imaginary unit.

2. Why is the commutation relation of the position and momentum operators important?

The commutation relation of the position and momentum operators is important because it is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics. It helps to define the uncertainty principle and is used in many mathematical calculations and quantum mechanical equations.

3. How does the commutation relation of the position and momentum operators relate to the uncertainty principle?

The commutation relation of the position and momentum operators is directly related to the uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. This is reflected in the non-zero commutation relation between x and p.

4. Can the commutation relation of the position and momentum operators be derived?

Yes, the commutation relation of the position and momentum operators can be derived using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms and operator algebra. It is an important result that is derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

5. How is the commutation relation of the position and momentum operators used in practical applications?

The commutation relation of the position and momentum operators is used in various practical applications, such as in quantum mechanics calculations, quantum field theory, and quantum information processing. It is also used in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level.