1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator [A^n,B] = ?

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [AnB] =nAn-1[A,B] for integrer n , assume [A,[A,B]]=0=[B,[A,B]]

2. Relevant equations
    [A,B]=AB-BA

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does anyone know how i should go to manipulate the exponent n ? I have tried to search but found nothing about a commutator like this properties.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2
    Use the Principle of Mathematic induction and the commutator rule:
    [tex]
    \left[ A \, C, B \right] = A \, \left[ C, B \right] + \left[A, B \right] \, C
    [/tex]

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    you can play as long as you ant with this formula ,but you will never be able to get what is asked except if you differentiate somehow ,becsuse you need have one n ,that is not exponent of A or B

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4
    You will also need to prove as an intermediate step that:
    [tex]
    \left(\forall n \in \mathbb{N} \right) \left[ A^{n}, \left[ A, B \right] \right] = 0
    [/tex]
    For this, use the principle of mathematical induction again and what you are given in the problem.

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By this logic, the only way to get [itex]3x^2[/itex] from [itex]x^3[/itex] is to differentiate. Does that really seem like a reasonable thing to claim? (What happens if you multiply [itex]x^3[/itex] by [itex]\frac{3}{x}[/itex], for example?

Instead of differentiating your commutator somehow (Have you even defined how to differentiate an operator? Are your operators differentiable?), I suggest you follow DickFore's advice and use a proof by induction. I'd start by looking at a fairly simple case like [itex]n=2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook