Commutator Algebra Homework: Analyzing Functions of Operators

In summary, a commutator is a mathematical operation used to measure non-commutativity of two operators. To analyze functions of operators using commutator algebra, one must understand its properties and use them to simplify expressions. In quantum mechanics, commutator algebra helps study the behavior of operators. It can also be applied to other non-commutative mathematical functions. However, limitations include only working for non-commuting operators and becoming complex for more advanced functions.
helpcometk

Homework Statement

Analytic functions of operators (matrices) A are defined via their Taylor expansion about A=0 .Consider the function

g(x) = exp(xA)Bexp(-xA)

Compute : dng(x) /dxn |x=0
for integer n

and then show that :exp(A)Bexp(-A)= B+[A,B] +1/2 [A,[A,B]] +1/6[A,[A,[A,B]]]+ ...

Homework Equations

for the first part of the question i don't understand what x=0 means in the formalism and it is unclear how one should proceed ,becuase we are dealing with operators.

about the second part i would like to note that :

g(1) =g(0) +g'(0) +1/2 g''(0)+ ...
if A=0 e^0 =1 and we start with B in the expansion formula

The Attempt at a Solution

About the first part i cannot imagine how i could proceed ,but about the second question i think we must use somehow a taylor expansion to resemble the monsterous expression of the RHS. But what i can't see is how one should manipulate [A,B], how could this come from a taylor expansion of the exponential ?

Physics news on Phys.org
x is a scalar. Some hints:
  • Matrix multiplication is transitive, but not necessarily commutative. That the latter is the case is the point of the commutator.
  • The chain rule still works as expected with your dg(x)/dx. You will either need to show this or cite the relevant theorem from your text/lectures.
  • For any square matrix A, exp(A) commutes with An for all nonnegative integers n. Once again, you will either need to show this or cite the relevant passage.
  • What is [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \exp(xA)[/itex]?

If chain rule is correct ,then i would have that the derivative is equal to 0 ,right?
about the second part do i just take the taylor expansions of both exponentials and mmultiply them ?

helpcometk said:
If chain rule is correct ,then i would have that the derivative is equal to 0 ,right?
No! You apparently don't understand the notation.

helpcometk said:
Compute : dng(x) /dxn |x=0
This means you are to compute the value of the nth derivative of g with respect to x at x=0. It says nothing about the derivative being zero.
D H said:
The chain rule still works as expected with your dg(x)/dx. You will either need to show this or cite the relevant theorem from your text/lectures.
Ooops. My bad. Sorry about that. I meant product rule, not chain rule.

I understand the notation ,but I am very tired becuase i don't sleep overnight and i make a mistake ,
so we have :
dng(x) /dxn = -2xAg(x) ,do you agree with this ?

helpcometk said:
I understand the notation ,but I am very tired becuase i don't sleep overnight and i make a mistake ,
so we have :
dng(x) /dxn = -2xAg(x) ,do you agree with this ?
Sorry for the very late response. I didn't see that you had added a post until just now.

No, I don't agree with that. Let's start with [itex]dg/dx[/itex]. Applying the product rule (which is still valid because matrix multiplication is associative),
[tex]\begin{align}
\frac {d\,g(x)}{dx} &= \frac d {dx} \bigl(\exp(xA)\,B\,\exp(-xA)\bigr) \\
&= \frac{d\exp(xA)}{dx}\,B\,\exp(-xA) +
\exp(xA)\,B\,\frac{d\exp(-xA)}{dx}
\end{align}[/tex]
The key challenge is to evaluate [itex]d\exp(xA)/dx[/itex]. Using the fact that [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\exp(xA)[/itex] commute (show this!), you can reduce the derivative to something of the form
[tex]
\frac {d\,g(x)}{dx} = \exp(xA)\,C\,\exp(-xA)
[/tex]
where [itex]C[/itex] is some matrix. The question itself suggests a form for this matrix: It has to somehow involve the commutator. (Hint: It is the commutator.) See if you can get to that. With this, getting [itex]d^ng/dx^n[/itex] should be a snap.

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the non-commutativity, or non-commutative behavior, of two operators. It is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the operators in reverse order.

2. How do I analyze the functions of operators using commutator algebra?

To analyze the functions of operators using commutator algebra, you first need to understand the properties of commutators, such as linearity and the Jacobi identity. Then, you can use these properties to simplify and manipulate the commutator expression to better understand the functions of the operators involved.

3. What is the significance of commutator algebra in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, commutator algebra is used to study the behavior of quantum mechanical operators, such as position and momentum. It helps us understand the non-commutative nature of these operators and their relationship with each other.

4. Can commutator algebra be applied to functions other than operators?

Yes, commutator algebra can be applied to any mathematical functions that do not commute, or do not follow the commutative property. This can include matrices, vectors, and other mathematical objects.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using commutator algebra in analyzing functions of operators?

One limitation of commutator algebra is that it only works for operators that do not commute. If the operators commute, then the commutator will always be equal to zero. Additionally, commutator algebra can become quite complex and difficult to solve for more complex operators and functions.