1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator algebra

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Analytic functions of operators (matrices) A are defined via their Taylor expansion about A=0 .Consider the function

g(x) = exp(xA)Bexp(-xA)

Compute : dng(x) /dxn |x=0
    for integer n

and then show that :exp(A)Bexp(-A)= B+[A,B] +1/2 [A,[A,B]] +1/6[A,[A,[A,B]]]+ ...

2. Relevant equations

for the first part of the question i don't understand what x=0 means in the formalism and it is unclear how one should proceed ,becuase we are dealing with operators.

about the second part i would like to note that :

g(1) =g(0) +g'(0) +1/2 g''(0)+ ...
    if A=0 e^0 =1 and we start with B in the expansion formula

3. The attempt at a solution

About the first part i cannot imagine how i could proceed ,but about the second question i think we must use somehow a taylor expansion to resemble the monsterous expression of the RHS. But what i can't see is how one should manipulate [A,B], how could this come from a taylor expansion of the exponential ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

x is a scalar. Some hints:
    • Matrix multiplication is transitive, but not necessarily commutative. That the latter is the case is the point of the commutator.
    • The chain rule still works as expected with your dg(x)/dx. You will either need to show this or cite the relevant theorem from your text/lectures.
    • For any square matrix A, exp(A) commutes with An for all nonnegative integers n. Once again, you will either need to show this or cite the relevant passage.
    • What is [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \exp(xA)[/itex]?

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    If chain rule is correct ,then i would have that the derivative is equal to 0 ,right?
    about the second part do i just take the taylor expansions of both exponentials and mmultiply them ?

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No! You apparently don't understand the notation.

This means you are to compute the value of the nth derivative of g with respect to x at x=0. It says nothing about the derivative being zero.

Ooops. My bad. Sorry about that. I meant product rule, not chain rule.

6. Oct 12, 2012 #5
    I understand the notation ,but im very tired becuase i dont sleep overnight and i make a mistake ,
    so we have :
    dng(x) /dxn = -2xAg(x) ,do you agree with this ?

7. Oct 24, 2012 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry for the very late response. I didn't see that you had added a post until just now.

No, I don't agree with that. Let's start with [itex]dg/dx[/itex]. Applying the product rule (which is still valid because matrix multiplication is associative),
    [tex]\begin{align}
    \frac {d\,g(x)}{dx} &= \frac d {dx} \bigl(\exp(xA)\,B\,\exp(-xA)\bigr) \\
    &= \frac{d\exp(xA)}{dx}\,B\,\exp(-xA) +
    \exp(xA)\,B\,\frac{d\exp(-xA)}{dx}
    \end{align}[/tex]
    The key challenge is to evaluate [itex]d\exp(xA)/dx[/itex]. Using the fact that [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\exp(xA)[/itex] commute (show this!), you can reduce the derivative to something of the form
    [tex]
    \frac {d\,g(x)}{dx} = \exp(xA)\,C\,\exp(-xA)
    [/tex]
    where [itex]C[/itex] is some matrix. The question itself suggests a form for this matrix: It has to somehow involve the commutator. (Hint: It is the commutator.) See if you can get to that. With this, getting [itex]d^ng/dx^n[/itex] should be a snap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook