Commutator of function of operators

In summary, the commutator of a function of operators is a mathematical operation used to determine the degree of commutativity between two operators. It involves calculating the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of their function. The resulting value reveals whether the operators commute, or if their order affects the outcome of the operation. This concept is important in quantum mechanics, where operators represent physical observables and their commutativity determines the accuracy of measurements.
kini.Amith
According to my teacher, for any two operators A and B, the commutators
[f(A),B]=[A,B]df(A)/dA
and [A,f(B)]=[A,B]df(B)/dB
He did not give any proof.
I can easily prove this for the particular cases
[f(x),p]=[x,p]df(x)/dx
and [x,pn]=[x,p]npn-1
But I don't see how the general formula is true. I also can't find it in any textbooks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kini.Amith said:
According to my teacher, for any two operators A and B, the commutators [f(A),B]=[A,B]df(A)/dA

I am not sure that's true.

Expand f(A) in terms of a power series. Take the derivative of that to give df(A)/dA and then check if equal. I can't see how it is without further assumptions.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
But he used this formula to prove eAeB=eA+B+[A,B]/2.
To be exact, he took [eAt,B]=[A,B]teAt in one step of the proof.

kini.Amith said:
But he used this formula to prove eAeB=eA+B+[A,B]/2.
To be exact, he took [eAt,B]=[A,B]teAt in one step of the proof.

Expand them out and have a look at the first term - are they equal?

To be exact the first term on LHS doesn't have t in front - yet the first term on the RHS does.

Added Later:
Wait a minute - the first term contains I which always commutes so is zero. That might be the assumption he is making - if the first term of f(A) commutes with B it may hold. I will check at get back.

Yea - the assumption he is making is the power series expansion is in terms of scalars ie f(A) = a0 + a1A + a2A^2 ... and a0, a1 etc are scalars.

I think if you insert and equate then the formula are true.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
This is only true if
$$
[A,[A,B]] = [B,[A,B]] = 0.
$$
That is, the commutator of A and B must commute with A and B for the formula to be true. In the case of x and p, their commutator is a scalar and it therefore holds. However, there is no guarantee for arbitrary A and B. The relation
$$
e^A e^B = e^{A+B + [A,B]/2}
$$
is a special case of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker–Campbell–Hausdorff_formula) for when ##[A,B]## commutes with ##A## and ##B##.

Just to expand a bit on the series expansion.

Expanding ##f(a)## gives
$$
f(a) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{d^n f}{da^n} \frac{a^n}{n!} \equiv
\sum_{n=0}^\infty k_n a^n
$$
and thus
$$
\frac{df(a)}{da} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty k_n n a^{n-1} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty n k_n a^{n-1}.
$$
Now, in the same way
$$
f(A) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty k_n A^n,
$$
which implies
$$
[f(A),B] = \sum_{n=0}^\infty k_n [A^n, B].
$$
We can here make use of the commutator relation
$$
[A^n, B] = \sum_{k = 1}^n A^{n-k} [A,B] A^{k-1}
$$
to rewrite this as
$$
[f(A),B] = \sum_{n=0}^\infty k_n \sum_{k = 1}^n A^{n-k} [A,B] A^{k-1}.
$$
Now, if ##[A,[A,B]] = 0##, then
$$
A^{n-k} [A,B] A^{k-1} = [A,B] A^{n-1}
$$
and
$$
\sum_{k = 1}^n A^{n-k} [A,B] A^{k-1} = [A,B] A^{n-1} \sum_{k=1} ^n 1 = n [A,B] A^{n-1}.
$$
The expression would then simplify to
$$
[f(A),B] = [A,B] \sum_{n=0}^\infty k_n n A^{n-1} = [A,B] f'(A).
$$
The last expression is of course also equal to ##f'(A) [A,B]##, since ##[A,B]## commutes with ##A##.

Likes 1 person
Orodruin said:
This is only true if
$$
[A,[A,B]] = [B,[A,B]] = 0.
$$

Thanks a ton.

kini.Amith said:
Thanks a ton.

Yea - me too.

It had me scratching my head a bit as well.

Thanks
Bill

Heh, now show that the formula extends to product functions, and to functions of the form 1/f(x). :tongue:

1. What is a commutator of function of operators?

A commutator of function of operators is a mathematical operation that involves the multiplication of two operators. It is represented by the symbol [A, B], where A and B are the two operators being multiplied. It is used to determine whether two operators commute or not, which is important in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the commutator of function of operators calculated?

The commutator of function of operators is calculated by using the following formula: [A, B] = AB - BA. This means that the commutator is equal to the product of the two operators minus the product of the two operators in reverse order.

3. What is the significance of the commutator of function of operators?

The commutator of function of operators is significant because it determines whether two operators commute or not. If the commutator is equal to zero, it means that the two operators commute and can be measured simultaneously. If the commutator is not equal to zero, it means that the operators do not commute and cannot be measured simultaneously.

4. Can the commutator of function of operators be used to find the uncertainty in measurements?

Yes, the commutator of function of operators is an important tool in quantum mechanics for calculating the uncertainty in measurements. The uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainties in two non-commuting operators must be greater than or equal to the magnitude of their commutator. This means that the commutator can be used to determine the minimum uncertainty in a measurement.

5. Are there any other properties of the commutator of function of operators?

Yes, there are other important properties of the commutator of function of operators. For example, the commutator is anti-symmetric, which means that [A, B] = -[B, A]. It also follows the distributive property, which means that [A, B + C] = [A, B] + [A, C]. These properties are important in performing calculations involving the commutator.