Calculating the Commutator of H and r in 3D - What is the Correct Solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses an incorrect factor in a given solution and the correct solution to the problem of [\hat{H},\vec{r}]. It is advised to be careful when dealing with gradients and the Laplacian, and the solution can be split into three parts for easier calculation. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of a possible direct solution and the current solution through component separation.
rcross5

Homework Statement

[tex]
[\hat{H},\vec{r}]= ?
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

onfb7.png

The answer is given, and I KNOW that factor of 6 shouldn't be there. The answer should be

[tex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{m} \nabla [/tex]

Anyway I've always been lurking these forums and I enjoy the discussions here, but this factor is really really bugging me and I was hoping you guys might be able to catch my probably simple mistake! Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a few mistakes in your solution. For example, the Laplacian is not the gradient of a gradient; it's the divergence of a gradient. Also, the gradient of a vector has no well-defined meaning in multivariable calculus, so you have to be very careful when dealing with them.

The easiest way to do this problem is to realize that [H,r] can be split into three parts: [H,x], [H,y], and [H,z]. Calculate each part separately, and combine the result into a vector. Note that after you get [H,x], you can just replace all the x's with y's to get [H,y], since all your equations are symmetrical in the Cartesian coordinates.

I guess I'm a bit rusty on my vector calculus! That's what I get for trying to be clever ;)
I'm too tired right now but if I have time I want to see if it's possible to directly solve it through like that. For now though, I've solved it by separating the components. Thanks!

1. What is the definition of the Commutator of H and r in 3d?

The Commutator of H and r in 3d, denoted as [H,r], is a mathematical operator that represents the difference between the product of the Hamiltonian operator (H) and the position operator (r) and the product of the position operator and the Hamiltonian operator.

2. What is the significance of the Commutator of H and r in 3d in quantum mechanics?

The Commutator of H and r in 3d is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps in understanding the uncertainty principle. It shows that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be measured simultaneously with complete accuracy, and there will always be some uncertainty in the measurement.

3. How is the Commutator of H and r in 3d calculated?

The Commutator of H and r in 3d is calculated using the general formula [H,r] = Hr - rH, where H and r are operators. This formula can be applied to any quantum system in 3-dimensional space.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the Commutator of H and r in 3d?

The Commutator of H and r in 3d has a physical interpretation as it represents the non-commutativity of the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics. This means that the order in which these operators are applied to a wave function affects the result, unlike classical mechanics where they commute.

5. How does the Commutator of H and r in 3d relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Commutator of H and r in 3d is directly related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum is greater than or equal to the reduced Planck's constant. The Commutator of H and r in 3d mathematically shows this relationship and helps in understanding the physical implications of the uncertainty principle.