1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator of two operators

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] be the complementary unitary operators for a system of [itex]N[/itex] eingenstates as discussed in lecture. Recall that they both have eigenvalues [itex]x_n=e^{2\pi in/N}[/itex] where [itex]n[/itex] is an integer satisfying [itex]0\leq n\leq N[/itex]. The operators have forms
    [tex]
    U=\sum_{n}|n_u\rangle\langle n_u |e^{2\pi in/N}\quad\quad V=\sum_{m}|m_v\rangle\langle m_v |e^{2\pi i m/N}
    [/tex]
    These operators can be expressed as exponentials of complementary self-adjoint operators [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]:
    [tex]
    U=e^{i2\pi A}\quad\quad V=e^{i2\pi B}
    [/tex]
    where the operators [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are
    [tex]
    A=\frac{n}{N}\sum_{n}|n_u\rangle\langle n_u| \quad\quad B=\frac{m}{N}\sum_{m}|m_v\rangle\langle m_v |
    [/tex]
    Calculate the commutator [itex][A,B][/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \mathbb{I}=\sum |n\rangle\langle n|
    [/tex]

for complementary observables
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}e^{i2\pi mn/N}=\sum_{n}\sum_{m}\langle n_u |m_v\rangle
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I have tried to work out AB and BA separately then combine them. Here is AB
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    AB &= \sum_{n}|n_u\rangle\langle n_u |\frac{n}{N}\sum_{m}|m_v\rangle\langle m_v |\frac{m}{N} \\
    &= \sum_{n}\sum_{m}|n_u\rangle\langle n_u|m_v\rangle\langle m_v| \frac{nm}{N^2} \\
    &= \sum_{n}\sum_{m}|n_u\rangle \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}e^{i 2\pi nm/N}\langle m_v |\frac{nm}{N^2}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    for BA:
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    BA &=\sum_{m}\sum_{n}|m_v\rangle\langle m_v | n_u\rangle\langle n_u |\frac{nm}{N^2} \\
    &= \sum_{m}\sum_{n}|m_v\rangle \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}e^{-i2\pi nm/N}\langle n_u |\frac{nm}{N^2}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    Then
    [tex]
    AB-BA=\sum_{m}\sum_{n}\frac{nm}{N^2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\left( e^{i2\pi nm/N}|n_u\rangle\langle m_v |-|m_v\rangle\langle n_u |e^{-i2\pi nm/N}\right)
    [/tex]
    I'm stuck here more or less. I can put either the u basis vectors into the v basis or visa versa, but I don't know if that is right. Where should I go from here?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Hm... well, I haven't done the problem myself so I can't guarantee that this will work, but in general the commutator of operators is itself an operator. So I would suggest calculating the matrix elements of [itex]AB - BA[/itex] in either basis, and see if the result suggests anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook