1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator question.

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if A is an operator which commutes with two components of the rotation generator operator, J, then it commute with its third component.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex][A_{\alpha},J_{\beta}]=i \hbar \epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma} A_{\gamma}[/tex]
    (not sure about the sign of this commutator it might be minus.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, then I am given:
    [tex][A,J_{\alpha}]=[A,J_{\beta}]=0[/tex]
    thus also [tex][A^2,J^2]=[A^2_{\alpha}+A^2_{\beta}+A^2_{\gamma},J^2_{\alpha}+J^2_{\beta}+J^2_{\gamma}]=[A^2,J^2_{\gamma}]=0[/tex] I used the above relevant equations to get to the last equality, but here is where I am stuck, I also know that [tex][A^2,J_{\gamma}]=0[/tex], but I don't seem to get to the last punch line which is [tex][A,J_{\gamma}]=0[/tex].

Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you really mean to write this?

All directions are equivalennt, so, WLOG, you can pick J_1 and J_2 as the components that commute with A.
    Use [J_1 , J_2] = i \hbar J_3 in [A , J_3], and maybe use the Jacobi identity.

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

OK thanks, I glossed over Jacobi identity in Wiki, and it does the job.

5. Nov 13, 2009 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A more transparent way might be to expand completely (i.e., get rid all commutators) [A, [J_1, J_2]], and use the fact that A commutes with J_1 and J_2 to move all the A's completely to right (or left) of all the terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook