Proving Commutation of an Operator with Rotation Generator Components

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if operator A commutes with two components of the rotation generator operator J, then it also commutes with the third component. The relevant equations and the Jacobi identity are used to show that this is indeed the case.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that if A is an operator which commutes with two components of the rotation generator operator, J, then it commute with its third component.

Homework Equations

[tex][A_{\alpha},J_{\beta}]=i \hbar \epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma} A_{\gamma}[/tex]
(not sure about the sign of this commutator it might be minus.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, then I am given:
[tex][A,J_{\alpha}]=[A,J_{\beta}]=0[/tex]
thus also [tex][A^2,J^2]=[A^2_{\alpha}+A^2_{\beta}+A^2_{\gamma},J^2_{\alpha}+J^2_{\beta}+J^2_{\gamma}]=[A^2,J^2_{\gamma}]=0[/tex] I used the above relevant equations to get to the last equality, but here is where I am stuck, I also know that [tex][A^2,J_{\gamma}]=0[/tex], but I don't seem to get to the last punch line which is [tex][A,J_{\gamma}]=0[/tex].

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
[tex][A_{\alpha},J_{\beta}]=i \hbar \epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma} A_{\gamma}[/tex]
(not sure about the sign of this commutator it might be minus.

Did you really mean to write this?

All directions are equivalennt, so, WLOG, you can pick J_1 and J_2 as the components that commute with A.
Use [J_1 , J_2] = i \hbar J_3 in [A , J_3], and maybe use the Jacobi identity.

OK thanks, I glossed over Jacobi identity in Wiki, and it does the job.

A more transparent way might be to expand completely (i.e., get rid all commutators) [A, [J_1, J_2]], and use the fact that A commutes with J_1 and J_2 to move all the A's completely to right (or left) of all the terms.

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mechanical or electrical device that is used to change the direction of current or motion. It consists of two metal contacts that rotate with an armature, allowing electrical connections to be made between different parts of a circuit or mechanical system.

2. How does a commutator work?

A commutator works by reversing the direction of current or motion. As the armature rotates, the contacts switch between positive and negative connections, allowing for a continuous flow of current or motion in one direction.

3. What is the purpose of a commutator?

The purpose of a commutator is to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) or to reverse the direction of a mechanical system, such as in a motor or generator. It ensures that the flow of current or motion is consistent and in one direction.

4. Are commutators still used today?

Yes, commutators are still used in various applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and some types of switches. However, advancements in technology have led to the development of more efficient alternatives, such as electronic commutators.

5. Can a commutator malfunction or fail?

Yes, a commutator can malfunction or fail due to wear and tear, dirt or debris buildup, or damage to the contacts. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prevent these issues and ensure the proper functioning of a commutator.