Commuting Hamiltonian with the projection of position

In summary, the paper claims that if you start with the position operator X=Π+xΠ++Π-xΠ- instead of x, then the commutator between H and V will be zero.
Quantum child
Hi all,

This is the problem I want to share with you.
We have the hamiltonian H=aP+bm, which we are commuting with the position x and take:

[x,H]=ia, (ħ=1)

Ok. Now if we take, instead of x, the operator

X=Π+ x Π+--
where Π± projects on states of positive or negative energy
the result will be:
[X,H]=iP/H

Can somebody explain me how this result comes out.
Thanks in advance
QC

Attachments

• thX11JW1WE.jpg
    thX11JW1WE.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum child said:
Ok. Now if we take, instead of x, the operator

Why exactly do you think this is a position operator?

As far as I can see you have defined an operator you call X, then find that it doesn't behave the same as a position operator, and for some reason it concerns you. Why has me beat. And exactly what do you mean by projecting on states with positive and negative energy? I don't know of any such operator.

Bottom line here is you need to post a LOT more detail. Without that detail I don't think anyone can really help you - at least I can't. Someone else may see what you are on about, in which case I am all ears, but for me it doesn't really make any sense.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Quantum child
Quantum child said:
X=Π+ x Π+--
where Π± projects on states of positive or negative energy
the result will be:
[X,H]=iP/H
I really don't see how you can get such a commutator. Can you show the intermediate steps?

Likes Quantum child and bhobba
Quantum child said:
X=Π+ x Π+--

You seem to be claiming that this ##X## operator is identical to ##x## and therefore the results should match. Well, that's wrong. You can get away with not including energy=0, but you forgot the cross terms too. If you split up a space into two complementary subspaces with the corresponding projectors, then you get the identity
$$x=(P_1+P_2)x(P_1+P_2) = P_1 x P_1 + P_2 x P_2 + P_1 x P_2 + P_2 x P_1$$
Your expansion is missing the cross terms.

Cheers,

Jazz

Likes Quantum child and DrClaude
First I want to thank you all for devoting some time to answer me.

I had to be more comprehensive, so let me provide some more details.

We take the Dirac Hamiltonian H=aP+mb in the non-manifestly-covariant formulation.
According to this Hamiltonian the velocity of a free Dirac particle is given by:
dx/dt=u=-i[x,H]=a,
so the commutator [H,u] will not be zero. (a is actually a matrix).

Now, I read in a paper that it is possible to get the commutator between the Hamiltonian H and the velocity "V" equal to zero if we start with the position operator
X=Π++--
Probably this operator is different from x, but is still associated to position. (At least this is claimed by the author)
The projectors Π± project on states of positive (+) or negative (-) energy states and can be defined as Π±=1/2(1±Λ) with Π+-=1 and Λ=f(H) a normalized function of Hamiltonian.

Thus in the paper author says that the velocity V of the new position operator X is given by:
dX/dt=V=-i[X,H]=P/H, hence the commutator [H,V] will be equal to zero:
[H,V]=P-P=0.

The last part is the easy one. My query is how comes up the commutation V=-i[X,H]=P/H.

I hope to become more clear now.

QC

Quantum child said:
I read in a paper
Could you please give the reference? It will greatly help us help you.

Likes Quantum child
If by "energy" you mean "eigenvalue of H", and if ##a## commutes with ##H##, then we can show that ##[X,H]=ia##.

##[X,H]=\Pi_+[x,H]\Pi_++\Pi_-[x,H]\Pi_- = ia(\Pi^2_++\Pi^2_-)=ia(\Pi_++\Pi_-)=ia##.

Likes Quantum child
You can find the paper at "arXiv:1002.0066 [quant-ph]" (subsection 3.1)

Thank you Avodyne but that exactly is my query, the result that is appearing in the paper is the inverse of this.

1. What is a commuting Hamiltonian with the projection of position?

A commuting Hamiltonian with the projection of position is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a system with multiple particles. It involves the calculation of the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the total energy of a system, and the projection operator, which measures the position of a particle.

2. Why is the concept of commuting Hamiltonian with the projection of position important?

This concept is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of a system of particles in quantum mechanics. By using the Hamiltonian operator and the projection operator, we can determine the energy levels and probabilities of different states of a system.

3. How is a commuting Hamiltonian with the projection of position calculated?

The calculation involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of both the Hamiltonian operator and the projection operator. The eigenvalues represent the possible energy levels of a system, and the eigenvectors represent the corresponding states of the system.

4. What are the applications of the commuting Hamiltonian with the projection of position?

This concept has many applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of atomic and molecular systems, as well as the development of quantum computing and quantum information processing technologies.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with the commuting Hamiltonian with the projection of position?

One limitation is that this concept only applies to systems in which the Hamiltonian and projection operators commute, meaning they can be calculated in any order. This is not always the case in more complex systems, and can make calculations more difficult. Additionally, the concept may not accurately describe the behavior of systems in extreme conditions, such as at very high energies or temperatures.