Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing Best-fits of different data sets that have different noise levels

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    Suppose I have 2 sets of data: day1 and day2. I want to fit a model to both data sets and then compare them to each other to see which one fits the model the best (the fit is done with a computer using non-linear least squares method). The RMS of the fit would be fine except that day1 has much noisier data than day2 and the noise level is unknown. This makes the RMS of the fit for day1 (the noisy data) intrinsically larger than the RMS for day2 simply because of the noise. Is there anyway to compare the fits that is independent of the noise level?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I don't see how you can make a comparision unless you are willing to create a probability model for the data that includes the distribution of the noise. If you are willing to characterize the noise then you could consider a computation based on the "liklihood ratio test".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook