Comparing Difference Quotients for Approximating $f'''(x)$

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of two difference quotients as approximations of $f'''(x)$. The first quotient is shown to have an upper bound of $\frac{22}{4} h ||f^{(4)}||_{\infty}$, while the second quotient has an upper bound of $\frac{3}{4} h ||f^{(4)}||_{\infty}$. It is determined that the second quotient is a better approximation due to its smaller upper bound, but further justification is considered in terms of setting the expressions equal to $\frac{22}{4} h f^{(4)}(x+\theta h)$ and $\frac{3}{4} h f^{(4
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I have to show that the following difference quotients are approximations of $f'''(x)$.

$$\frac{f(x+3h)-3f(x+2h)+3f(x+h)-f(x)}{h^3} \\ \frac{f(x+2h)-2f(x+h)+2f(x-h)-f(x-2h)}{2h^3}$$

Which approximation is more accurate? Justify your answer.I found the Taylor expansion of $f(x+3h) , f(x+2h), f(x+h)$ and found that

$$\left| \frac{f(x+3h)-3f(x+2h)+3f(x+h)-f(x)}{h^3}-f'''(x) \right| \leq \frac{22}{4} h ||f^{(4)}||_{\infty}$$

Have we shown now that $\frac{f(x+3h)-3f(x+2h)+3f(x+h)-f(x)}{h^3}$ is an approximation of $f'''(x)$?
Or do we have to show that the above tends to $0$ ?

Similarly, I found that

$$\left| \frac{f(x+2h)-2f(x+h)+2f(x-h)-f(x-2h)}{2h^3}-f'''(x) \right| \leq \frac{3}{4} h ||f^{(4)}||_{\infty}$$

The second difference quotient is a better approximation because of the smaller constant, right ?

But how could we justify it formally? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
The second difference quotient is a better approximation because of the smaller constant, right ?

But how could we justify it formally? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

I think that what you have is already sufficiently formal.

The only thing I can think of to improve it, is to set the expressions equal to $\frac{22}{4} h f^{(4)}(x+\theta h)$ respectively $\frac{3}{4} h f^{(4)}(x+\xi h)$, where $0\le\theta\le 1$ and $0\le\xi\le 1$.
I'd consider that sharper than giving an upper bound. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

I think that what you have is already sufficiently formal.

The only thing I can think of to improve it, is to set the expressions equal to $\frac{22}{4} h f^{(4)}(x+\theta h)$ respectively $\frac{3}{4} h f^{(4)}(x+\xi h)$, where $0\le\theta\le 1$ and $0\le\xi\le 1$.
I'd consider that sharper than giving an upper bound. (Thinking)

Nice... Thanks a lot! (Smile)

Related to Comparing Difference Quotients for Approximating $f'''(x)$

1. What is a difference quotient?

A difference quotient is a mathematical expression used to approximate the slope of a curve or the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by taking the difference between two points on the curve and dividing it by the difference in their x-values.

2. Why is it important to compare difference quotients for approximating f'''(x)?

Comparing difference quotients for approximating f'''(x) allows us to determine the most accurate method for finding the third derivative of a function. This is important for understanding the behavior of a function and its higher order derivatives.

3. How are difference quotients used in calculus?

Difference quotients are used in calculus to approximate the slope of a curve or the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They are also used to find derivatives, including higher order derivatives, of a given function.

4. What are the limitations of using difference quotients for approximating f'''(x)?

While difference quotients can provide a good estimate of the third derivative of a function, they are not always accurate and can become increasingly complex to calculate for higher order derivatives. Additionally, they can only be used to approximate the derivative at a specific point, rather than providing an exact value.

5. How can I improve my understanding of comparing difference quotients for approximating f'''(x)?

To improve your understanding of comparing difference quotients for approximating f'''(x), it is important to practice using them in various examples and to understand the principles behind their calculations. It can also be helpful to review the concepts of derivatives and higher order derivatives in calculus.