Comparing Taught Msc and Msc by Thesis: Important Factors to Consider

• Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc Thesis
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a taught Msc and a Msc by thesis, including the usual route taken, availability of funding, and the application process. It also mentions the difficulty of getting funding for a Msc compared to a PhD and the importance of research in obtaining funding. The conversation also mentions the possibility of being less likely to be accepted for a Msc by thesis and the need for further research on topics of interest.
binbagsss
I know little about how the two compare.
I'm just after any information on them really.

In particular things like:

- Which is the usual route taken? I believe it is taught? On university websites it gives the number of spaces for the taught Msc but not the by thesis ones, what are the typical numbers of students completing a Msc by thesis?

- Which has more funding available? (I think it's quite difficult to get funding for Msc anyway, and is more likely for a Phd, is this correct?).

- At the unis I've looked at so far, you apply by proposing your thesis and writing a certain number of words on your research proposal. I have just completed my undergrad and feel as though I have not really covered enough topics/know a topic in enough detail to know what topic would be of particular interest or even know enough about a certain topic to propose a research proposal?

( I did a Maths and Physics degree but am interested in a Maths masters so I must have covered a smaller range of maths topics)

(The only thing I can think of is to read about the topics of research at the uni)

- Are you less likely to be accepted to do a Msc by thesis?

(I'm interested unis in the U.K please).

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
These are questions best answered by physics faculty in the UK.

In the US, it is much easier to get funding for a PhD for physics. Some engineering disciplines have funding for research MS degrees. Research is important to funding, because the advisor's research grant is paying the bills.

1. What is the difference between a Taught Msc and Msc by thesis?

A Taught Msc program typically involves coursework, lectures, and exams, while an Msc by thesis program focuses on independent research and the completion of a thesis or dissertation.

2. Which program is better for career advancement?

Both programs can lead to career advancement, but it ultimately depends on your career goals and field of study. A Taught Msc may be better for individuals looking to gain practical skills and knowledge, while an Msc by thesis may be better for those looking to conduct research and pursue a career in academia.

3. How long does each program typically take to complete?

A Taught Msc program usually takes one to two years to complete, while an Msc by thesis can take two to three years or longer, depending on the research topic and progress.

4. Is one program more prestigious than the other?

Both programs have their merits and can be equally prestigious. A Taught Msc program may be more well-known and recognized by employers, while an Msc by thesis can demonstrate a high level of expertise and dedication in a specific research area.

5. Can I switch from one program to the other?

It may be possible to switch from a Taught Msc to an Msc by thesis program or vice versa, but it typically depends on the policies and requirements of the specific university or program. It is important to carefully consider your options and consult with an advisor before making any changes.