Comparing toughness of physics grad schools

In summary, a physics graduate student at a less prestigious university is comparing their graduate course to those at top universities and finds it difficult. A professor at a top university uses a modern textbook which the student finds difficult.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Comparing "toughness" of physics grad schools

I was wondering if anyone knows any good ways of finding out how one's courses (specifically grad classes) stacks up against other universities? My undergrad courses were probably a 5 on a 1-10 scale of what i can imagine would be the typical difficulties you'd see in an American university. Now I enter into my grad first semester QM course and a friend of mine who already received his MS tells me and a couple friends that this professor who teaches the course attempts to put the difficulty at what you'd see at a place like MIT or Princeton. I thought "yah, right, whatever". I start the semester off thinking that hey, it's grad school, it's going to be a new ballgame, a step up, etc etc. From the get-go this class has been like a shotgun blast to the face yet I'm achieving better grades on assignments than ever before (our midterm we just took, I may have been the only one to finish). Thus, I'm really wondering if my friend was right and now I'm looking to see if there's a way to actually compare my program or at least my course with courses at top universities. I highly doubt universities publish their grad course homeworks/test/lectures...

The thinking behind my professor bumping up the difficulty is supposedly so that since you can only get a MS at my university, they want to produce students that are of the caliber of students entering into any PhD program in the country and wouldn't have to play catchup.

Physics news on Phys.org
a lot of top schools actually do publish their course work

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-04Spring-2006/CourseHome/index.htm

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-321Quantum-Theory-IFall2002/CourseHome/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice, that prof uses Sakurai too :)

im surprised they use modern sakurai and not advanced sakurai.

1. What factors should I consider when comparing the toughness of physics grad schools?

When comparing the toughness of physics grad schools, some important factors to consider include the rigor of the curriculum, the quality and availability of research opportunities, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the resources and facilities available for research, and the overall reputation and ranking of the program.

2. How can I determine the toughness of a physics grad school?

There are several ways to determine the toughness of a physics grad school. You can research the average GPA and test scores of admitted students, read reviews and rankings from reputable sources, talk to current or former students, and look at the types of research projects and publications that come out of the program.

3. Is the toughness of a physics grad school indicative of its quality?

Not necessarily. While a tough program may indicate a high level of academic rigor and competitiveness, it does not necessarily mean that the program is of high quality. It is important to consider other factors such as faculty expertise, research opportunities, and resources when evaluating the overall quality of a physics grad school.

4. How do different specialties within physics affect the toughness of a grad school program?

The toughness of a grad school program can vary depending on the specific specialty within physics. Some specialties may have more rigorous coursework or require more advanced mathematical skills, while others may have more opportunities for hands-on research. It is important to research the specific specialties within a program to determine their level of toughness.

5. Are there any resources available to help me compare the toughness of different physics grad schools?

Yes, there are several resources available to help you compare the toughness of different physics grad schools. These include rankings and reviews from reputable sources such as U.S. News & World Report, conversations with current and former students, and discussions with faculty and advisors in the field. It is important to gather information from multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the toughness of a program.