Comparison of FEA and closed form solution for fluid velocity in a channel

In summary, the closed form solution may be slightly inaccurate when compared to the FEA analysis. However, the added complexities of a viscous flow or pipe roughness may not be as accurate.
coolarm
I am trying to compare the fluid velocity given by the closed form solution and FEA analysis for fluid flowing through a channel that is 800u long and 100u wide.

I am using the equation vmax= (gradP)*(radius)^2/(4*viscosity)

I got 8.4cm/s in the former compared to ~10cm/s in the latter.

What could be the reason for the difference in both values. I thought of some like entrance length which is considerable compared, FEA has a square cross section instead of circular.

Am I right? Are there any more reasons. If so can I compensate for any of them using, say an extra term or longer channel (though FEA could take more time) etc.

Phew!Lot of questions
Shree

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are numerous reasons that the numeric solution could be off. People spend years verifying and validating codes to ensure accuracy. The simplest explanation could be mesh size, then you have numerical differencing error, truncation error, the list goes on and on.

From what I hear, some of the guys here ran a simple pipe flow with our latest greatest CFX code, and it failed to get the analytic solution horribly.

Minger,

That is interesting. First of all, I am an Electrical Engineer, so I might be wrong in any of my statements.

I thought that FEA analysis takes into account every detail in my structure (two of the differences I had already mentioned) and hence should be accurate. Though I know that a coarse mesh size will give a result which is slightly farther from the actual value. However, I thought that the closed form solution would be farther away from the actual value compared to FEA.

From your feedback, I guess values of 8.4 and 10 are acceptable in this case.

Shree

There's a running joke that goes around between fluid dynamicists that the numerical ones (CFD) believe the experimental guys over their stuff, and the experimental guys believe the CFD over theirs.

I don't think that CFD has gotten user-proof to the point that anyone can step in and get good results. It's still at a point where the person using it has a large (relative) effect on the answers, particularly with generating meshes.

If the problem that you're testing has a closed form analytic solution then you can assume that to be correct. Simple invisid-incompressible pipe flow would be an example. You'll never get a more correct answer than what you have on paper.

Now with that in mind, you are correct that numerical solutions give you the opportunity to add complexities such as viscous flows, pipe roughness, compressibility factors. However, trying to model a simple flow, you can easily see that these things aren't foolproof, and are by no way perfect.

1. What is the difference between FEA and closed form solution for fluid velocity in a channel?

Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a numerical method used to solve complex engineering problems by dividing them into smaller, more manageable elements. A closed form solution, also known as an analytical solution, is a mathematical equation that can be used to directly calculate the solution to a problem. In the context of fluid velocity in a channel, FEA involves using a computer program to discretize the channel into smaller elements and then solving the equations for each element to obtain an approximate solution. A closed form solution, on the other hand, involves using mathematical equations to directly calculate the solution without needing to divide the channel into smaller elements.

2. Which method is more accurate for determining fluid velocity in a channel?

In general, a closed form solution is considered to be more accurate than FEA for determining fluid velocity in a channel. This is because a closed form solution uses exact mathematical equations, whereas FEA involves approximations and assumptions. However, the accuracy of both methods depends on the complexity of the problem and the skill of the user.

3. What factors should be considered when deciding between FEA and closed form solution for fluid velocity in a channel?

There are several factors that should be considered when deciding between FEA and closed form solution for fluid velocity in a channel. These include the complexity of the problem, available resources (time, budget, computing power), accuracy requirements, and the user's familiarity with each method. In general, simpler problems with known boundary conditions may be more suitable for a closed form solution, while more complex and non-linear problems may require the use of FEA.

4. Can FEA and closed form solution be used together for determining fluid velocity in a channel?

Yes, FEA and closed form solution can be used together for determining fluid velocity in a channel. This is known as a hybrid approach, where the strengths of both methods are combined to obtain a more accurate solution. For example, FEA can be used to solve for the main flow characteristics, while a closed form solution can be used to refine the results at specific points of interest.

5. Are there any limitations to using FEA and closed form solution for fluid velocity in a channel?

Both FEA and closed form solution have their own limitations when it comes to determining fluid velocity in a channel. FEA is limited by the accuracy of the mesh used and the assumptions made, while closed form solutions may not exist for complex or non-linear problems. Additionally, both methods require significant computational resources and may not be suitable for time-sensitive or budget-constrained projects.