Comparison Test Problem & Estimitaing it's error

In summary: I'll try it out for myself.In summary, the conversation revolved around estimating the error in a series by using the sum of the first 10 terms. The person was unsure about how to approach this and was initially trying to find the integral, but it was pointed out that this was not necessary. Instead, they could use a simpler estimate to bound the error.
JRangel42

Homework Statement

The question in the book is: "Use the sum of the first 10 terms to approximate the sum of the series. Estimate the error.

My problem is estimating the error I'm looking for. I just need help with finding the integral.

Homework Equations

((sin n)^2)/(n^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

∞∫n ((sin n)^2)/(n^3)

u = ((sin n)^2) du = 2 ((sin n)^2)cos n dv = n^3 dx v = 1/4 x^4

This is as far as I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
JRangel42 said:

Homework Statement

The question in the book is: "Use the sum of the first 10 terms to approximate the sum of the series. Estimate the error.

My problem is estimating the error I'm looking for. I just need help with finding the integral.

Homework Equations

((sin n)^2)/(n^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

∞∫n ((sin n)^2)/(n^3)

u = ((sin n)^2) du = 2 ((sin n)^2)cos n dv = n^3 dx v = 1/4 x^4

This is as far as I got.

What integral? Aren't you just given an infinite series, and are asked to estimate the error when you stop at 10 terms? Anyway, if you did have to integrate the function you would need to use the non-elementary function Ci(x). Maple 11 gets:
f:=sin(x)^2/x^3;
> Jt:=Int(f,x=1..t);
[tex] \int_1^\infty \frac{\sin^2(x)}{x^3} \, dx [/tex]
> value(Jt) assuming t>1;
[tex]
\frac{1}{4} \frac{t-t^2 \cos(2)+2t^2 \sin(2)-2\mbox{Ci}(2) t^2 - 2 + 2\cos^2(t)
- 4t \cos(t) \sin(t) + 4\mbox{Ci}(2t) t^2}{t^2} [/tex]

RGV

Last edited:
Oh. It seems that I have been doing this the wrong way since I haven't been introduced to Ci before. I'll make sure to double check my steps this time.

JRangel42 said:
Oh. It seems that I have been doing this the wrong way since I haven't been introduced to Ci before. I'll make sure to double check my steps this time.

Your error is the sum of (sin(k))^2/k^3 over all of the terms you didn't include. Don't sweat the Ci function. All you need is an estimate to bound the error. (sin(k))^2/k^3<=1/k^3. Estimate that instead.

JRangel42 said:

You still have not answered my question: what integral? Are you not just dealing with a sum? (The Ci stuff was just to show you that the integral is not 'doable', so you should not waste time on it!)

RGV

Alright guys. Thanks for the tip. I think get it now.

What is a comparison test problem?

A comparison test problem is a mathematical problem that involves comparing the values of two different quantities or functions. It is often used to determine the relationship between two variables, or to estimate the error in a calculation.

How do you solve a comparison test problem?

To solve a comparison test problem, you must first identify the two quantities or functions that are being compared. Then, you must determine the relationship between them, such as whether one is greater than, less than, or equal to the other. Finally, you must use mathematical techniques, such as algebra or calculus, to solve for the unknown variable or estimate the error.

What is the purpose of estimating the error in a comparison test problem?

The purpose of estimating the error in a comparison test problem is to determine how accurate or precise your calculation or measurement is. By knowing the potential error, you can determine the reliability of your results and make any necessary adjustments to improve the accuracy of your calculations or measurements.

What are some common techniques for estimating the error in a comparison test problem?

Some common techniques for estimating the error in a comparison test problem include using upper and lower bounds, using approximations or rounding, and using statistical methods such as confidence intervals or hypothesis testing. The specific technique used will depend on the type of problem and the available data.

How do you interpret the error in a comparison test problem?

The error in a comparison test problem should be interpreted as an indication of the potential uncertainty or variability in your calculation or measurement. It is important to consider the magnitude of the error and how it may affect the overall results and conclusions of your study. Additionally, you should also consider any sources of error or potential limitations in your methods that may have contributed to the estimated error.