1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compass deflection by overhead transmission lines

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    Problem Description:
    A hiker is reading a compass under an overhead transmission line that is 5.1m above the ground and carries a current of 807A in a horizontal direction from North to South. Assume the earth's field is of the order 0.5*10^-4T.

A) Determine the magnitude of the field produced by the transmission line at a point directly underneath

B) Due to the transmission line, the compass will be deflected by a certain angle instead of pointing north. Find this angle in degrees

Relevant equations:
    1. Magnetic field of a straight conductor at distance 'd' = (μ/4π)*(2I/d)

Attempt at Solution:
    Using the equation above and a given value for mu, I was able to find the strength of the magnetic field directly underneath the wire as being 3.164*10^-5

As for the next step, I'm totally lost. I was thinking of finding the forces on the compass due to the transmission line compared to Earth's field, and using vector lines to find the deflection, but I have no idea of the charge on the compass or anything.

I also thought I could just take the relative directions and sizes of the earth's field and then draw vectors from there, but I don't know if that's allowed.

What can I do? Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it's allowed :smile:. What do you get? (You don't need the "charge" of the compass. Just figure out the direction of the net magnetic field.)

4. Jun 2, 2013 #3
    In that case, I draw two vectors to represent the magnetic field directly under the wire due to the wire (A), and due to the earth (B).

Assembling them head-to-tail, tan(theta) = B/A
    So theta must be ~33 degrees, which is right! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted