Compass deflection by overhead transmission lines

In summary, a hiker is reading a compass under an overhead transmission line carrying a current of 807A in a horizontal direction. The Earth's field is 0.5*10^-4T. The magnitude of the field produced by the transmission line directly underneath is 3.164*10^-5. The deflection of the compass due to the transmission line can be found by drawing two vectors representing the magnetic field due to the wire and the Earth, and using the equation tan(theta) = B/A to find the angle, which is approximately 33 degrees.
SQUIDDO
Problem Description:
A hiker is reading a compass under an overhead transmission line that is 5.1m above the ground and carries a current of 807A in a horizontal direction from North to South. Assume the Earth's field is of the order 0.5*10^-4T.

A) Determine the magnitude of the field produced by the transmission line at a point directly underneath

B) Due to the transmission line, the compass will be deflected by a certain angle instead of pointing north. Find this angle in degreesRelevant equations:
1. Magnetic field of a straight conductor at distance 'd' = (μ/4π)*(2I/d)
Attempt at Solution:
Using the equation above and a given value for mu, I was able to find the strength of the magnetic field directly underneath the wire as being 3.164*10^-5

As for the next step, I'm totally lost. I was thinking of finding the forces on the compass due to the transmission line compared to Earth's field, and using vector lines to find the deflection, but I have no idea of the charge on the compass or anything.

I also thought I could just take the relative directions and sizes of the Earth's field and then draw vectors from there, but I don't know if that's allowed.

What can I do? Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
SQUIDDO said:
I also thought I could just take the relative directions and sizes of the Earth's field and then draw vectors from there, but I don't know if that's allowed.
Yes, it's allowed :smile:. What do you get? (You don't need the "charge" of the compass. Just figure out the direction of the net magnetic field.)

In that case, I draw two vectors to represent the magnetic field directly under the wire due to the wire (A), and due to the Earth (B).

Assembling them head-to-tail, tan(theta) = B/A
So theta must be ~33 degrees, which is right! Thanks!

1. What causes compass deflection near overhead transmission lines?

Compass deflection near overhead transmission lines is caused by the magnetic field created by the flow of electricity through the power lines. This magnetic field can interfere with the Earth's magnetic field, causing the compass needle to deviate from its usual direction.

2. How close do you have to be to an overhead transmission line to experience compass deflection?

The distance at which compass deflection can be observed varies depending on the strength of the magnetic field. In general, the closer you are to the transmission line, the stronger the magnetic field and the greater the compass deflection. As a general rule, compass deflection can be observed within approximately 300 feet of an overhead transmission line.

3. Can compass deflection affect the accuracy of a compass?

Yes, compass deflection can affect the accuracy of a compass. When a compass is near an overhead transmission line, the needle may not point in the correct direction due to the interference from the magnetic field. This can lead to errors in navigation and mapping.

4. Is compass deflection by overhead transmission lines a safety concern?

In most cases, compass deflection by overhead transmission lines is not a safety concern. However, if a person is relying on a compass for navigation in an area with many transmission lines, the deflection may cause them to become disoriented. This could be a safety concern in certain situations.

5. Can you prevent compass deflection near overhead transmission lines?

There are a few measures that can be taken to reduce the effects of compass deflection near overhead transmission lines. These include using a compass with a liquid-filled housing, which can help to dampen the needle's movement, or using a compass away from the immediate vicinity of the transmission lines. Additionally, being aware of the location of overhead transmission lines and taking note of any compass deflection can help individuals compensate for any errors in navigation.