1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis - Contour integral

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the following problem:
    Compute
    [itex] \operatorname{Re} \int _\gamma \frac{\sqrt{z}}{z+1} dz, [/itex]
    where [itex] \gamma [/itex] is the quarter-circle [itex] \{ z: |z|=1, \operatorname{Re}z \geq 0 , \operatorname{Im} z \geq 0 \} [/itex] oriented from 1 to [itex]i[/itex], and [itex] \sqrt{z} [/itex] denotes the principal branch.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been trying to solve this using the complex analog of the 2nd Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Substituting [itex] u = \sqrt{z} [/itex] and using partial fractions, I get
    [itex] \int_\delta 2 - \frac{i}{u+i} + \frac{i}{u-i} du [/itex]
    where delta is the eighth-circle from 1 to [itex] e^{i\pi /4} [/itex]
    This is equal to
    [itex] [2u - i \log(u+i) + i\log (u-i)]_{u=1} ^{u=e^{i\pi/4}} [/itex],

and the real part is then

[itex] [\operatorname{Re} u + \operatorname{Arg}(u+i) -\operatorname{Arg}(u-i)]_{u=1} ^{u = e^{i \pi /4}} [/itex]

However, the arguments at [itex] u=e^{i\pi /4} [/itex] do not come out to nice forms. I am wondering if my approach is even correct, and if there's a better way to solve problems of this type.
    Thanks.

[Mathematica says the value is approximately -0.584].
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Combine the logs:
    $$-i \log (u+i) + i\log(u-i) = i\log\frac{u-i}{u+i}$$ For ##u=e^{i\pi/4}##, you should be able to show that ##\frac{u-i}{u+i} = -i \tan \pi/8##.

4. Jun 17, 2012 #3

Yes. You can approach it entirely in terms of an analytically-continuous antiderivative. But I realize that analytically-continuous thing is what, not easy to understand? First, what is any-old antiderivative? That's easy right:

[tex]
    \begin{align}
    \int_1^i \frac{\sqrt{z}}{z+1}dz&=\int_1^{\sqrt{i}} \frac{2u^2}{u^2+1}du\\
    &=2(u-\arctan(u)\biggr|_1^{\sqrt{i}}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

Ok then, as long as you evaluate that antiderivative along an analytically-continuous path from 1 to [itex]e^{\pi i/4}[/itex] then you can simply evaluate the antiderivative at it's end-points. But the multi-valued function [itex]\arctan(z)[/itex] has branch-points at [itex]\pm i[/itex] so my path from 1 to [itex]\sqrt{i}[/itex] doesn't pass near these points or go around them, so I can use the prinicpal-valued branch of arctan(z) and simply write:

[tex]\int_{1}^{i}\frac{\sqrt{z}}{z+1}=2\left[(\sqrt{i}-\arctan(\sqrt{i}))-(1-\arctan(1))\right][/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook