Complex Analysis: Entire Function Series

In summary, an entire function series is a sequence of functions that are defined and holomorphic on the entire complex plane. It is a generalization of a power series and has applications in mathematics and physics, such as calculating integrals. Special techniques, such as the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem and Cauchy integral test, can be used to determine the convergence of these series.
tarheelborn

Homework Statement

I need to prove that [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}[1−Cos(n−1z)][/tex] is entire.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to show that the series is differentiable for its whole domain, but I am not sure how to do that. Should I try to use the ratio test?

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably mean 1-cos(z/n). Yes, expand the cos in a power series and try to say something about the convergence of the summed series using the ratio test.

Oops, that is what I mean. Thank you very much.

1. What is an entire function series?

An entire function series is a mathematical concept in complex analysis that refers to a sequence of functions that are defined and holomorphic (complex differentiable) on the entire complex plane. This means that the functions have no singularities or poles in their domain, and they can be represented by convergent power series.

2. How is an entire function series different from a power series?

An entire function series is a generalization of a power series, as it allows for a wider range of functions to be represented. While a power series is only defined on a single point (the center of the series), an entire function series is defined on the entire complex plane. Additionally, the terms in an entire function series may have more complex behavior, such as having infinitely many zeros.

3. What are some applications of entire function series?

Entire function series have numerous applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to represent functions with infinitely many zeros, such as the Riemann zeta function which has important connections to prime numbers. They are also used in the study of differential equations and dynamical systems, as well as in probability theory and statistical mechanics.

4. How can entire function series be used to calculate integrals?

One of the key properties of entire function series is that they can be integrated term by term, meaning that the integral of the entire series is equal to the sum of the integrals of each individual term. This property can be used to calculate integrals of complex functions that are otherwise difficult to compute. Additionally, entire function series can be used to approximate integrals numerically.

5. Are there any special techniques for finding the convergence of entire function series?

Yes, there are several techniques for determining the convergence of entire function series. One method is to use the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem, which states that the series will converge within the largest circle contained in the region of convergence. Another technique is to use the Cauchy integral test, which involves integrating the function along a specific path to determine its convergence. Other techniques include the ratio test, root test, and comparison test.