Complex Analysis: Inverse Trig and Hyperbolic Functions Help

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question involving inverse trigonometric and hyperbolic functions. The solution involved using the formula for sinh and simplifying the equation to solve for u. It was also mentioned that there is a simpler way using the formula for sinh^-1. The final answers were given as i(Pi/6 +2nPi) and i(5Pi/6 +2nPi).

Homework Statement

I can't seem to get a few questions involving inverse trigonometric functions and hyperbolic functions. Here is one that I am stuck on:

Evaluate the following in the form x+iy:

sinh-1(i/2) = z

Homework Equations

sinh z = (ez - e-z)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

sinh-1(i/2) = z
sinh (z) = i/2

This means that i/2 = (ez - e-z)/2

Let u = ez

Where do I go from here? I don't know how to deal with the imaginary number.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually there is a simpler way. Note that ##sinh^{-1}(z)=ln(z+\sqrt{z^2+1})##

Last edited:
I got the answer. To get the solution, I put all the terms on one side and used the quadratic formula to find the solutions of u. From there, it is easy enough to figure out.

The final answers are i(Pi/6 +2nPi); i(5Pi/6 +2nPi)

Alright glad to hear that you got the answers.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex variables. It is a powerful tool used to study the behavior and properties of complex functions, which are functions that map complex numbers to complex numbers.

2. Why is complex analysis important?

Complex analysis is important because it has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It helps in understanding and analyzing complex physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in signal processing, control theory, and data analysis.

3. What are some key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integrals, and singularities. Complex numbers are numbers that have both real and imaginary parts, and they are the building blocks of complex analysis. Analytic functions are functions that can be expressed as a power series and have a derivative at every point in their domain. Contour integrals are integrals along a path in the complex plane, which are used to calculate the value of a complex function. Singularities are points where a complex function is not defined or becomes infinite.

4. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis include Cauchy's integral theorem and formula, the residue theorem, and conformal mapping. Cauchy's integral theorem states that the value of a contour integral is equal to the sum of residues of the function inside the contour. The residue theorem simplifies the calculation of contour integrals by using the residues of a function. Conformal mapping is a technique used to map one complex domain onto another, preserving angles and shapes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of complex analysis?

To improve your understanding of complex analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and real analysis. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through proofs to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts. Seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks, online lectures, and study groups, can also aid in improving your understanding of complex analysis.