Complex Analysis - Proving an inequality

In summary, the problem is to show that if the absolute value of z is equal to 10, then 497 is less than or equal to the absolute value of z cubed plus 5iz squared minus 3, which is less than or equal to 1503. This can be proven using the triangle inequality for both the upper and lower bounds, and by substituting different values of z with |z|=10.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Show that if |z| = 10 then 497 ≤ |z[itex]^{3}[/itex] + 5iz[itex]^{2}[/itex] − 3| ≤ 1503.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not an entirely sure how to begin this one, or if what I'm doing is correct.

If I sub in |z| = 10 into the equation; |1000 + 500i - 3| = 997 +500i

Then the modulus of that is sqrt(997[itex]^{2}[/itex]+500[itex]^{2}[/itex]) = 1115.35

497 ≤ 1115.35 ≤ 1503

Physics news on Phys.org
You subbed in z=10, but there are many other values of z with |z|=10 (for example, 10i, 5sqrt(2)+5sqrt(2)i, etc.)

You just have to apply the triangle inequality (in a different form for each bound)

I took a look at triangle inequalities for Complex Analysis, and there are essentially two types?

One for the upper bound and one for the lower:

|z1 + z2| ≤ |z1| + |z2|

|z1 + z2| ≥ ||z1| − |z2||

But I'm not too sure how that would fit in here.

Would I need to find the roots of z as a starting point?

NewtonianAlch said:
|z1 + z2| ≤ |z1| + |z2|

For example, from this you can also show
[tex]| z_1 + z_2 + z_3 | \leq |z_1| + |z_2| + |z_3| [/tex]

It's really not clicking still.

So I'm meant to show 497 ≤ |z1| + |z2| + |z3|, so would z1 = z^3, z2 = 5iz^2, and z3 = -3 ?

NewtonianAlch said:
It's really not clicking still.

So I'm meant to show 497 ≤ |z1| + |z2| + |z3|, so would z1 = z^3, z2 = 5iz^2, and z3 = -3 ?

That wouldn't prove anything, since 497 ≤ |z1| + |z2| + |z3| does not imply that 497 ≤ |z1 + z2+ z3|

However, the other direction might be more fruitful

OK.

|z1 + z2 + z3| [itex]\geq[/itex] 497

z1 = z^3
z2 = 5iz^2
z3 = -3

z^3 + 5iz^2 [itex]\geq[/itex] 500
|z| = 10, so |z|^2 = 100

Simplifying equation to 1 + 5i [itex]\geq[/itex] 1/2

Am I even remotely in the right direction?

Really appreciate your help by the way. Thanks for that.

I'm still stuck on this problem if anyone can help that'd be great =)

Nvm, it is solved now! Can't believe it was actually very easy, once the tutor did it in class, I was like doh!

1. What is complex analysis and how does it relate to proving inequalities?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of complex numbers. It involves the study of functions, limits, derivatives, and integrals of complex numbers. Proving inequalities in complex analysis involves using these concepts to show that one complex number is greater than or less than another.

2. Can you explain the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and its significance in complex analysis?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality states that for any two complex numbers, the absolute value of their dot product is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. This inequality is significant in complex analysis because it is used to prove other important theorems, such as the triangle inequality and the Hölder inequality.

3. How do you use the triangle inequality to prove other inequalities in complex analysis?

The triangle inequality states that the absolute value of the sum of two complex numbers is less than or equal to the sum of their individual absolute values. This can be applied to prove other inequalities by breaking down a complex expression into smaller parts and applying the triangle inequality to each part.

4. What is the difference between a strict inequality and a non-strict inequality in complex analysis?

A strict inequality means that the two sides of the inequality are not equal, while a non-strict inequality allows for the possibility of equality. In complex analysis, strict inequalities are typically harder to prove, as they require a more precise and rigorous approach.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for proving inequalities in complex analysis?

One strategy is to start by simplifying the expression using known identities and properties of complex numbers. It can also be helpful to consider the geometric interpretation of complex numbers and use visual aids, such as the Argand diagram. Additionally, breaking down the expression into smaller parts and applying known inequalities can make the overall proof more manageable.