Complex Analysis Question

In summary, the function f(z) = 1/(sin(pi/z)) has singular points at z=0 and z=1/n (where n is an integer), but the book states that all singular points except z=0 are isolated. This means that there exists an epsilon neighborhood around z=0 that is analytic, while for all epsilon neighborhoods around z=1/n, there is another singular point within that neighborhood. This argument is understood for z=0, but it is unclear why it cannot be applied to the other singular points z=1/n. The conversation also includes a clarification about the definition of an isolated singularity.
PowerClean
This one is pretty involved so mad props to whoever can help me figure it out. I've been thinking about this for more than an hour and it's bugging me.

Consider the function f(z) = 1/(sin(pi/z)).

It has singular points at z=0 and z=1/n (where n is an integer). However, my book says each singular point except z=0 is isolated. (An isolated singular point is one where every epsilon neighborhood around that point is analytic.) Anyways, the argument is that if we find any epsilon neighborhood around z=0, then we can always find a 1/n (where n is an integer) inside this neighborhood. As we know, 1/n is a singular point hence there doesn't exist a neighborhood around z=0 that is analytic. This I understand.

However, I don't get why this same argument couldn't be applied to the other singular points z=1/n. Namely, for any epsilon neighborhood around z=1/n, we can find some other z=1/m inside this neighborhood... can't we?

My OCD prevents me from moving on forward in the chapter until I've figured this out exactly. It's driving me nuts. My prof doesn't have office hours until Tuesday of next week and he's notorious for not answering emails. If any of yall can help me figure this out before then, it'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, consider 1/3. Then the closest 1/n's around it are 1/4 and 1/2. Choose the neighbourhood about 1/3 with radius less than min(|1/4 - 1/3|, |1/2 - 1/3|), so we could pick 1/30, for example. We're dealing with (9/30, 11/30). Find a 1/n in there other than 1/3. You really really shouldn't have spent an hour on this...

Are you sure you understand why 0 is not isolated?

Power clean, are you sure you've got the correct definition? Isolated means there is *an* open neighbourhood of the point on which it is analytic (except for the singularity), not for every neighbourhood. (That would mean that every analytic function with tow singularties would never have isolated singularities.)

It is not an isolated singulairty if *for all* nbds there is another singularity in that nbd. The negation of "for all" is "there exists"

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the study of complex-valued functions, differentiation, integration, and series in the complex plane.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). They are used to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary components.

What is the difference between real analysis and complex analysis?

Real analysis deals with real numbers and their functions, while complex analysis deals with complex numbers and their functions. Real analysis is more concerned with the properties of real-valued functions, while complex analysis focuses on the properties of complex-valued functions.

What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and more. It is also used in the study of complex systems and in the development of algorithms for image and signal processing.

What are some important theorems in complex analysis?

Some important theorems in complex analysis include Cauchy's integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and the maximum modulus principle. These theorems are used to evaluate integrals, solve differential equations, and analyze the behavior of complex functions.