Equivalence of Log and Argument for Complex Functions?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equivalence between Imlog[(1+x)/(1-x)] and arg [(1+x)/(1-x)] for a complex number x. The speaker asks if this is always applicable for any form of complex function, and the responder explains that it is relevant and provides a mathematical explanation for it. The conversation ends with the speaker understanding the concept.
M. next
Hello!

So I have questions on this equivalence:

Imlog[(1+x)/(1-x)] = arg [(1+x)/(1-x)] where x: complex number

How is this true? Is it always applicable no matter what form of complex function is under calculation?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, indeed. Excuse me for the late reply.

Note, a complex number z can always be written in the form z=a+ib: a,b are real.

Yes?

If I ask you for the imaginary part of log(z) can you tell me what it is?

From there it should be fairly obvious what the imaginary part of log(f(z)) is in terms of f(z).

I don't see that the "(1+ x)/(1- x)" is really relevant. If z is any complex number, [itex]z= re^{i\theta}[/itex] where "[itex]\theta[/itex]" is the "argument" of z. Then [itex]log(z)= log(re^{ix\theta})= log(r)+ i \theta[/itex]. That is, [itex]Im(log(z))= \theta[/itex], the argument of z.

M. next said:
Yes?
So... you can now answer your own questions...

You asked:
Is it always applicable no matter what form of complex function is under calculation?
... you want to know if ##\Im\big[ \log[f(a+ib)]\big]=f(a+ib)## for any function f of complex number x=a+ib: a,b, real.

So do the math.
It's actually easier in polar form ... put ##x=Re^{i\theta}##
Work it out for your problem first.

Last edited:
Okay, I understood it now. Great thanks.

What is a complex argument?

A complex argument is an argument that involves multiple premises and a conclusion. It may also include intermediate steps or sub-arguments. Complex arguments are often used in scientific research to support a hypothesis or theory.

What is a logical fallacy?

A logical fallacy is an error in reasoning that may make an argument invalid or unsound. Some common logical fallacies include ad hominem attacks, false analogies, and circular reasoning. It is important to identify and avoid logical fallacies in order to have a strong and valid argument.

What is the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning?

Deductive reasoning is a form of logical reasoning where a conclusion is drawn from a set of premises that are assumed to be true. In contrast, inductive reasoning involves making generalizations or predictions based on observations or evidence. Both types of reasoning are used in scientific arguments, but deductive reasoning is often considered more powerful because it leads to a definite conclusion if the premises are true.

What is a syllogism?

A syllogism is a type of deductive argument that consists of two premises and a conclusion. It follows a specific structure, where the first premise is a general statement, the second premise is a specific statement related to the first, and the conclusion follows logically from the two premises. Syllogisms are commonly used in philosophical and mathematical arguments.

How can I strengthen my argument?

There are several ways to strengthen an argument. These include providing strong and relevant evidence, anticipating and addressing potential counterarguments, using logical and valid reasoning, and avoiding logical fallacies. It is also important to clearly communicate your argument and support it with reliable sources.