Solving for |a| in a Complex Number Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of |a-3-4i|, given that a is a complex number satisfying the equation ia^3+a^2-a+1=0. One approach suggested is to use the Cardano formula for solving cubic equations, but it does not seem to provide a simple solution. A different method using Wolfram Alpha is suggested, but it is unclear if it would make the solution shorter.
aviravir1
if a is a complex number which satisfy [tex]ia^3+a^2-a+1=0[/tex]

then find [tex]\left | a \right |[/tex] ?

one way is to put a=x+iy

any other short way ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No coments ?

ok the real question was find the maximum value of [tex]\left | a -3-4i\right |
[/tex]

now will that help in any way making the soln shorter...i guess not..but still will it?

1. What is a complex number equation?

A complex number equation is an equation that contains at least one imaginary number, which is a number that is expressed as the product of a real number and the square root of -1.

2. How do I solve for |a| in a complex number equation?

To solve for |a| in a complex number equation, you must first isolate the absolute value expression by using algebraic manipulations. Then, you can solve for the variable using the properties of absolute value.

3. Can I have more than one absolute value expression in a complex number equation?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple absolute value expressions in a complex number equation. In this case, you would need to solve for each absolute value expression separately using the same method as mentioned in question 2.

4. What does the absolute value in a complex number equation represent?

The absolute value in a complex number equation represents the distance of the complex number from the origin on the complex plane. It is always a non-negative real number.

5. Are there any special cases when solving for |a| in a complex number equation?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when solving for |a| in a complex number equation. The first case is when the absolute value expression is equal to a real number, in which case the solution is simply the positive or negative value of that number. The second case is when the absolute value expression is equal to 0, in which case the solution is always 0.