Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex conjugates

1. Oct 19, 2004 #1
    Complex conjugates (new question in 1st post)

I have a couple questions on complex variables:

1.)If you have a complex function defined as follows:
    [tex]f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/tex]
    with x,y real, what do you get if you take the complex conjugate of the variable z?
    [tex]f(z^*)=?[/tex]

I was thinking that it wouldn't change since the complex variable has been replaced with two real variables, but that doesn't seem right.

If I take the conjugate of the entire function, is this what I should get:

[tex]f^*(z)=u(x,y)-iv(x,y)[/tex]

2.) If you are trying to prove that a function is not analytic at a specific point, is it sufficient to show that the Cauchy-Riemann conditions do not hold? I'm trying to show that the derivative of a function at zero is dependant on the direction that you approach zero. I've shown that the C-R conditions are not met, but I'm not sure how to show explicitly for that point that they are not met.

EDIT: NEW QUESTION

I figured I would just edit this topic instead of starting a new one. I'm trying to prove that if a function [tex]f(z)[/tex] is analytic then the function [tex]f^{*}(z^{*})[/tex] is also analytic.

I'm not sure how to get this started. It makes sense that taking the conjugate wouldn't affect the differentiability, but I don't know how to prove that. Any hints on how to get this problem started?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get the complex conjugate of f(z) replace y with -y.

4. Oct 19, 2004 #3
    Is that just a general rule, or is that something I should be trying to prove?

5. Oct 19, 2004 #4
    [tex]z[/tex] is defined by [tex]x+iy[/tex]. Therefore, the function [tex]f(z)[/tex] is equivalent to a function [tex]f(x,y)[/tex] with two arguments. Since [tex]z^\ast=x-iy[/tex], [tex]f(z^\ast)[/tex] is similarly equivalent to a function [tex]f(x,-y)[/tex].

Hope that this is the proof you are looking for.

Best regards,
    Kenneth

6. Oct 19, 2004 #5
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

7. Oct 20, 2004 #6
    I added a question to the first post. I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

8. Oct 20, 2004 #7
    Given [tex]f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/tex] is analytic, we have

[tex]\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial y}[/tex] and

[tex]\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial y}=-\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial x}[/tex].

Next, we have [tex]f^\ast(z^\ast)=u(x,-y)-iv(x,-y)[/tex]. Rewrite it as [tex]f^\ast(z^\ast)=u'(x,y')+iv'(x,y')[/tex] where [tex]u'(x,y')=u(x,-y)[/tex] and [tex]v'(x,y')=-v(x,-y)[/tex]. Now, we have the following:

[tex]\frac{\partial u'(x,y')}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}\,,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u'(x,y')}{\partial y'}=-\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial x}\,,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial v'(x,y')}{\partial x}=-\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial x}\,,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial v'(x,y')}{\partial y'}=\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}\,.[/tex]

Isn't it the Cauchy-Riemann condition still be hold for [tex]f^\ast(z^\ast)[/tex]?

Best regards,
    Kenneth

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook