Complex Integral: Solving a Difficult Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Cauchy's theorem to solve a complex integration problem over three curves. The function to be integrated is $\frac{z^2}{e^{2z}+1}$ and the curves are $C=\{ z \in \mathbb{C} : |z|=2 \}$ and $\theta = 0 \rightarrow \theta = 2\pi$. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a change of variables or L'Hôpital's rule to solve for the residue of the function at the pole $z=\frac{\pi i}{2}$.
Advent
Hi all!

I have to perform this complex integration over three curves, the first one is \( C=\{ z \in \mathbb{C} : |z|=2 \} \) and the function to integrate is

$$ f(z)=\frac{z^2}{e^{2z}+1}$$

If I do the usual change of variables \(z=2e^{i\theta} \) and integrate from \( \theta = 0 \rightarrow \theta = 2\pi \) the denominator term is gives me trouble, because of the double exponential.

Another way I was thinking, it was Cauchy's theorem. As \(f(z) \) has no poles then (I'm not sure of this) the sum of all residues is $0$ so the integral is $0$ too. But there are $z \in \mathbb{C}$ such that $e^{2z}+1 = 0 $, given by $z_{n}=\frac{1}{2}i(\pi + 2\pi n), n \in \mathbb{Z}$ and $z_{0}$ is inside $C$ which I think that is no pole, but the function goes to infinity, so it is not analytical there.

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ruun said:
Hi all!

I have to perform this complex integration over three curves, the first one is \( C=\{ z \in \mathbb{C} : |z|=2 \} \) and the function to integrate is

$$ f(z)=\frac{z^2}{e^{2z}+1}$$

If I do the usual change of variables \(z=2e^{i\theta} \) and integrate from \( \theta = 0 \rightarrow \theta = 2\pi \) the denominator term is gives me trouble, because of the double exponential.

Another way I was thinking, it was Cauchy's theorem. As \(f(z) \) has no poles then (I'm not sure of this) the sum of all residues is $0$ so the integral is $0$ too. But there are $z \in \mathbb{C}$ such that $e^{2z}+1 = 0 $, given by $z_{n}=\frac{1}{2}i(\pi + 2\pi n), n \in \mathbb{Z}$ and $z_{0}$ is inside $C$ which I think that is no pole, but the function goes to infinity, so it is not analytical there.

Thanks for your time

Those are indeed poles. Cauchy's theorem says that since $C$ bounds a simply connected region where $f$ is meromorphic then $\displaystyle \oint_C f\;dz$ is the sum of the residues at these finitely many points. So, you are correct, $f$ is holomorphic on the interior of $C$ minus $\frac{\pi i}{2}$ and so Cauchy's theorem tells you that $\displaystyle \oint f\;dz=2\pi i\text{Res}(f,\tfrac{1}{2}\pi i)$. So, what is this residue? How can we compute it?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The residue is:

$$\lim_{z\to i\pi/2}\left(z-\frac{i\pi}{2}\right)\frac{z^2}{e^{2z}+1}$$

Now, the "problem" is that I don't know to "factorize" $e^{2z}+1=0$, to cancel with $\left(z-\frac{i\pi}{2}\right)$ I was thinking in circular and hyperbolical functions, but they do not solve my problem as far as I can see:

$$e^{2z}=2(\cosh(z)+\sinh(z))$$

and

$$\cos(iz)=\cosh(z), \sin(iz)=-\sinh(z)$$

we have that

$$\lim_{z\to/2 i\pi}e^{2z}=\lim_{z \to i\pi/2}2(\cosh(z)+\sinh(z))=2(\cosh(i \pi/2 ) + \sinh(i\pi/2))=2(\cos(\pi/2)-\sin(\pi/2))=-2$$

but the factor $(z-i\frac{\pi}{2})$ goes to zero, and it can't go to zero, because there will be no pole afterall at $z=i\frac{\pi}{2}$, given you said that there is a pole.

Thanks for your time

Here is a hint for you.

Suppose that $f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{h(z)}$ where $g$ and $h$ are holomorphic functions. Suppose that at $p$ we have that $h(p)=0$ but $g(p)\not = 0$.
Then $f$ will have a pole at point $p$. Suppose further that $h'(p) \not = 0$ then prove that $\text{res}(f,p) = \frac{g(p)}{h'(p)}$.

Do this exercise first then apply this result to your problem!

Last edited:
No, it is indeed a pole because actually $\lim_{z\to i\pi/2}e^{2z}+1 = 0 \neq -1$ as you calculated.

We have: $\sin(i\cdot z) = - \displaystyle\frac{\sinh(z) }{\color{red} i} $

Now as for your residue note that:

$$\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \frac{z^2}{e^{2z}+1} = \lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \frac{z^2}{ \left( f\left( \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) + f^\prime\left( \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \cdot \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) + \varepsilon(z) \cdot \left(z - \frac{i\pi}{2}\right) \right) }$$

where $f(z) := e^{2z} + 1$ and $\displaystyle\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \varepsilon(z) = 0$ because $f$ is complex differentiable there (in fact, it is analytic on $\mathbb{C}$ ).

Thus:

$$\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \frac{z^2}{e^{2z}+1} = \lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \frac{z^2}{ f^\prime\left( \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \cdot \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) + \varepsilon(z) \cdot \left(z - \frac{i\pi}{2}\right) } = ...$$ (Wink)

Last edited:
ThePerfectHacker said:
Here is a hint for you.

Suppose that $f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{h(z)}$ where $g$ and $h$ are holomorphic functions. Suppose that at $p$ we have that $h(p)=0$ but $g(p)\not = 0$.
Then $f$ will have a pole at point $p$. Suppose further that $h'(p) \not = 0$ then prove that $\text{res}(f,p) = \frac{g(p)}{h'(p)}$.

Do this exercise first then apply this result to your problem!

Hi, thanks for the hint!

Ok, now I see it, after some google research, that your result for the pole is the same as L'Hôpital's rule

$$\lim_{z\to p}(z-p)\frac{g(z)}{h(z)}=\lim_{z \to p}\frac{g(z)}{\frac{h(z)}{z-p}}=\lim_{z \to p}\frac{g(z)}{\frac{h(z)-h(p)}{z-p}}=\lim_{z \to p}\frac{g(z)}{h'(z)}=\frac{g(p)}{h'(p)}$$

wich is not $0$ nor $\infty$ so problem solved after substitution :D

PaulRS said:
No, it is indeed a pole because actually $\lim_{z\to i\pi/2}e^{2z}+1 = 0 \neq -1$ as you calculated.

We have: $\sin(i\cdot z) = - \displaystyle\frac{\sinh(z) }{\color{red} i} $

Now as for your residue note that:

$$\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \frac{z^2}{e^{2z}+1} = \lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \frac{z^2}{ \left( f\left( \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) + f^\prime\left( \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \cdot \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) + \varepsilon(z) \cdot \left(z - \frac{i\pi}{2}\right) \right) + 1}$$

where $f(z) := e^{2z} + 1$ and $\displaystyle\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \varepsilon(z) = 0$ because $f$ is complex differentiable there (in fact, it is analytic on $\mathbb{C}$ ).

Thus:

$$\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \frac{z^2}{e^{2z}+1} = \lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \frac{z^2}{ f^\prime\left( \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) \cdot \left( z - \frac{i\pi}{2} \right) + \varepsilon(z) \cdot \left(z - \frac{i\pi}{2}\right) } = ...$$ (Wink)

Hi, thanks for your post, sorry for the huge $\sin(z)$ fail, I try to avoid that kind of silly mistakes but it seems to be some unavoidable part of my math skills...

I'm afraid I fail to see where the denominator comes from, specifically the $\varepsilon(z)$ term. Is the 2nd and higher order derivatives for the complex series of $e^{2z}$?. If so, shouldn't be $(z-i\pi/2)^2$ the third term? Then I wouldn't cancel with the numerator I know but I don't get it. And the $+1$ term? I don't get it too

Thanks for your time :D

Ruun said:
I'm afraid I fail to see where the denominator comes from, specifically the $\varepsilon(z)$ term. Is the 2nd and higher order derivatives for the complex series of $e^{2z}$?. If so, shouldn't be $(z-i\pi/2)^2$ the third term? Then I wouldn't cancel with the numerator I know but I don't get it. And the $+1$ term? I don't get it too

Thanks for your time :D

Actually you are right about the $+1$, it shouldn't be there, copy paste typo.

I will put the rest in a different way if you like, we may write: $ \displaystyle\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \frac{f(z) - f\left(i\pi/2\right)}{z - i\pi/2 } = f^\prime\left(i\pi/2\right)$ $(*)$

In this case $ f\left(i\pi/2\right) = 0$ so $ \displaystyle\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \frac{f(z)}{z - i\pi/2 } = f^\prime\left(i\pi/2\right)$ and $ \displaystyle\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \frac{(z - i\pi/2) \cdot z^2}{ f(z) } =\displaystyle\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \frac{z^2}{ \frac{f(z)}{z - i\pi/2 } } = \frac{\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} z^2}{\lim_{z\to i\pi/2} \frac{f(z)}{z - i\pi/2 } } $ (the last equality holds since both limits are defined and the denominator's limit is not 0).

Note that $(*)$ is indeed equivalent to having $ f(z) = f\left(i\pi/2\right) + f^\prime\left(i\pi/2\right) \cdot (z - i\pi/2 ) + (z - i\pi/2 ) \cdot \varepsilon(z)$ for some function $\varepsilon(z)$ satisfying $ \varepsilon(z) \to 0$ as $ z \to i\pi/2$. This is what being differentiable is all about! (Rofl)

Thank you, now I get it! I didn't know the $\varepsilon(z)$ thing, my math training is the one I am being given in my physics undergraduate courses so it's quite mechanical and we don't care too much about math rigor. Such a bad mistake in my opinion, but I'm my spare time, wich is not as much as I wanted, I try to reinforce my math training.

So problem solved, thank you!
:D

To be sure if I understood this, my answer to the first integral is $i\pi^3/4$.

If $c=\{2+e^{i\theta} : \theta \in [0,2\pi] \}$ as the poles are all in the imaginary axis, and $c$ is the circle of radius $1$ and center $2$ it never touches the imaginary axis, therefore no poles inside $c$, so the integral is $0$.

And finally if $c=\{z \in \mathbb{C}: |z-4i|=1\}$ is the circle of radius $1$ and center $4i$ this time there are two poles inside $c$ $z_{1}=i7\pi/2$ and $z_{2}=i9\pi/2$, my result is that the integral is $i65\pi^3/4$

Related to Complex Integral: Solving a Difficult Problem

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of dealing with real numbers, it deals with complex numbers.

2. How do you solve a complex integral?

Solving a complex integral involves using a variety of techniques, such as contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the residue theorem. It also requires a good understanding of complex numbers and their properties.

3. What makes solving a complex integral difficult?

Complex integrals can be difficult because they involve working with complex numbers, which have both real and imaginary components. This can make the calculations more complex and require a higher level of mathematical understanding.

4. Can complex integrals be applied in real-world problems?

Yes, complex integrals have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others.

5. Are there any tips for solving difficult complex integrals?

One helpful tip is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use techniques such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations or the Cauchy integral formula to simplify the calculations. It is also important to have a good understanding of complex numbers and their properties.