1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Line Integral (should be easy)

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using a partial fraction decomposition, show that if z lies in the right half plane and C is the line segment from 0 to z, then

C dz/(z2+1) = i/2 Log(z+i) - i/2 Log(z-i) + π/2​

2. Relevant equations

Log(z) = ln(z) + i Arg(z) (maybe relevant?????)

3. The attempt at a solution

C dz/(z2+1) = -1/2 ∫C dz/(z+1) + 1/2 ∫C dz/(z-1) = -1/2 Log(z+1) + 1/2 Log(z+1) .......... This isn't looking promising. Suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2
    You're not doing the partial fractions correctly. You got i's in there you know. Factor z^2+1 and get:

[tex]\frac{1}{z^2+1}=\frac{1}{(z+i)(z-i)}[/tex]

now do the partial fractions and then consider the analyticity of the antiderivative along the integration path. Did I just say that? Jesus, what does that even mean? Where are the branch cuts in all of this? branch-points? Do we even need them? Why don't we just try an easier one first like just:

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{dz}{z-i}[/tex]

that 's easy right? It's just:

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{dz}{z-i}=\text{mylog}(z-i)\biggr|_0^1[/tex]

with mylog just being an analytic part of the multivalued function log(z-i). Say we define it as:

[tex]\text{mylog}(z-i)=\ln|z-i|+i\theta,\quad -\pi<\theta\leq \pi[/tex]

where theta is the argument (within that range above, of the quantity z-i. So z starts at 0 so then the argument of (0-i) is just -\pi/2. That's within range. Now say z=1/4 +1/4 i so arg of 1/4-3/4 i is what? I don't know exactly. You figure it out but it's in the fourth quadrant so still in range. Same way with the entire length of the integration path: the argument is always within that range above and never crosses the branch-cut along the negative real axis so mylog is analytic along the entire path of integration so therefore I can evaluate the integral by evaluating the antiderivative at it's end points and write:

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{dz}{z-i}=\text{mylog}(z-i)\biggr|_0^1=\text{mylog}(1-i)-\text{mylog}(-i)[/tex]

You not gettin' confussed with that mylog thing right? It's just log ok, or rather the piece of it I define above. You can do the other one. Also, see this thread about using parts of log. Make sure you understand what's going on.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=552090

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. Nov 22, 2011 #3
    I see what's going on now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook