How is the Complex Line Integral of a Circle Calculated?

In summary: That wasn't a typo but a mistake: I forgot what the function was and thought it was only \,\,\displaystyle{\frac{1}{z}\,\,,\,\,instead\,\,of\,\,\frac{\overline{z}}{z}}\,\, . I'd go\displaystyle{\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{\overline{z}}{z}dz=ri\int_0^{2\pi}e^{-i\theta}d\theta=\left.-re^{-i\theta}\right]_0^{2\pi}=-r(1-1)=0}\,\, , but what you did is correct,...In summary, the line integral
Skrew
I read(and numerically calculated) that the line integral around a circle of radius r centered at 0 for the function conjugate(z)/(z - t) is 0 for all t inside the circle.

I don't know see how this integration is performed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Skrew said:
I read(and numerically calculated) that the line integral around a circle of radius r centered at 0 for the function conjugate(z)/(z - t) is 0 for all t inside the circle.

I don't know see how this integration is performed.

Let's see if I'm still medium lucid at this hour...As the integral is on [itex]\,\,|z|=r\,\,[/itex] , we can put [itex]\,\,z=re^{i\theta}\,,\,0\leq\theta\leq 2\pi\Longrightarrow dz=rie^{i\theta}\,d\theta[/itex] , so that
[tex]\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{\overline{z}}{z-t}\,dz=r^2i\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{d\theta}{re^{i\theta}-t}[/tex]
This last integral you can find in integral tables or, funny enough, you can go back to your original variable by means of

another change of variables and get zero then...

DonAntonio

Last edited:
DonAntonio said:
Let's see if I'm still medium lucid at this hour...As the integral is on [itex]\,\,|z|=r\,\,[/itex] , we can put [itex]\,\,z=re^{i\theta}\,,\,0\leq\theta\leq 2\pi\Longrightarrow dz=rie^{i\theta}\,d\theta[/itex] , so that
[tex]\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{\overline{z}}{z-t}\,dz=r^2i\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{d\theta}{re^{i\theta}-t}[/tex]
This last integral you can find in integral tables or, funny enough, you can go back to your original variable by means of

another change of variables and get zero then...

DonAntonio

I was able to get where you got to but I don't know how to calculate the final integral.

Note that it's not nearly as simple as it would appear since

1/(e^(thetai) - t) = (cos(theta) - sin(theta)i - conjugate(t))/((cos(theta) + real(t))^2 + (sin(theta) + img(t))^2).

Skrew said:
I was able to get where you got to but I don't know how to calculate the final integral.

Note that it's not nearly as simple as it would appear since

1/(e^(thetai) - t) = (cos(theta) - sin(theta)i - conjugate(t))/((cos(theta) + real(t))^2 + (sin(theta) + img(t))^2).

Look it in Bronshtein-Semendiaev: it appears as [itex]\int\frac{1}{b+ce^{ax}}dx[/itex] , or do what I adviced you: substitute back to z leaving that constant out.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Look it in Bronshtein-Semendiaev: it appears as [itex]\int\frac{1}{b+ce^{ax}}dx[/itex] , or do what I adviced you: substitute back to z leaving that constant out.

DonAntonio

hmm I am still not seeing the change of variables solution.

Skrew said:
hmm I am still not seeing the change of variables solution.

We had [itex]\,\,\displaystyle{r^2i\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{d\theta}{re^{i\theta}-t}}\,\,[/itex] . Now just substitute back
[tex]z=re^{i\theta}\Longrightarrow dz=rie^{i\theta}d\theta\Longrightarrow id\theta=\frac{dz}{z}\Longrightarrow r^2i\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{d\theta}{re^{i\theta}-t}=r^2\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{dz}{z(z-t)}=\frac{r^2}{t}\left[\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{dz}{z-t}-\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{dz}{z}\right]\,\,,\,\,t\neq 0[/tex]

Now, each of both integrals on the right have the same value so

Of course, if t is zero then the integral is NOT zero.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
We had [itex]\,\,\displaystyle{r^2i\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{d\theta}{re^{i\theta}-t}}\,\,[/itex] . Now just substitute back
[tex]z=re^{i\theta}\Longrightarrow dz=rie^{i\theta}d\theta\Longrightarrow id\theta=\frac{dz}{z}\Longrightarrow r^2i\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{d\theta}{re^{i\theta}-t}=r^2\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{dz}{z(z-t)}=\frac{r^2}{t}\left[\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{dz}{z-t}-\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{dz}{z}\right]\,\,,\,\,t\neq 0[/tex]

DonAntonio

Hmm, I'm not seeing how one gets from z = re^(theta*i) to dz = rie^(theta*i)dtheta.

Skrew said:
Hmm, I'm not seeing how one gets from z = re^(theta*i) to dz = rie^(theta*i)dtheta.

Eeer...if you can't differentiate then perhaps this stuff's still a little too advanced for you...and I wonder now how

come you wrote after my first post that you were able to get where I got...??

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Eeer...if you can't differentiate then perhaps this stuff's still a little too advanced for you...and I wonder now how

come you wrote after my first post that you were able to get where I got...??

DonAntonio

Edit: oh nevermind, I see.

I was confusing your dz with being the derivative of z, not the notational defintion hahahaha.

Last edited:
DonAntonio said:

DonAntonio

Something is bugging me, why do you say that if t is zero the integral is not zero?

integral of 1/e^(thetai) with respect to theta = integral of 1/(cos(theta) + sin(theta)i)
= integral of cos(theta) - sin(theta)i
= 0.

If that's a typo it's no problem but I want to make sure I am not missing something obvious.

Skrew said:
Something is bugging me, why do you say that if t is zero the integral is not zero?

integral of 1/e^(thetai) with respect to theta = integral of 1/(cos(theta) + sin(theta)i)
= integral of cos(theta) - sin(theta)i
= 0.

If that's a typo it's no problem but I want to make sure I am not missing something obvious.

That wasn't a typo but a mistake: I forgot what the function was and thought it was only [itex]\,\,\displaystyle{\frac{1}{z}\,\,,\,\,instead\,\,of\,\,\frac{\overline{z}}{z}}\,\,[/itex] . I'd go

[itex]\displaystyle{\oint_{|z|=r}\frac{\overline{z}}{z}dz=ri\int_0^{2\pi}e^{-i\theta}d\theta=\left.-re^{-i\theta}\right]_0^{2\pi}=-r(1-1)=0}\,\,[/itex] , but what you did is correct, too.

DonAntonio

Last edited:

1. What is a complex line integral?

A complex line integral is a mathematical concept that represents the integral of a complex-valued function along a curve in the complex plane. It is a generalization of the regular line integral in the real plane.

2. How is a complex line integral calculated?

The complex line integral is calculated by breaking the curve into small segments and approximating the integral of each segment. The sum of these approximations gives the final value of the complex line integral.

3. What is the significance of the contour in a complex line integral?

The contour is the curve along which the complex line integral is calculated. It determines the path that the function is integrated along and can greatly affect the final value of the integral.

4. What are some applications of complex line integrals?

Complex line integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. They are also used in complex analysis and the study of complex functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex line integrals?

One limitation of complex line integrals is that they can only be used to integrate functions that are analytic (have a continuous derivative) along the contour. Additionally, the contour must be a simple, closed curve without any singularities.