What Does Trace(p^4-p^3) Equal for a 2x2 Complex Matrix with Given Properties?

In summary, the problem asks for the value of trace(p^4-p^3), where P is a 2x2 complex matrix with trace(p)=1 and det(p)=-6. Using the trace identities, we can simplify this to trace(p^4)-trace(p^3). Solving for the eigenvalues and plugging them into the trace formula, we get the final answer of 25.
ajayguhan

Homework Statement

Let P be 2x2 complex matrice such that trace(p)=1 det(p)=-6 then trace(p^4-p^3) equals what...?

Homework Equations

Is there any formula for trace(A^n)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the two eigen values be a,b

a+b=1 a*b= -6 solving we get a=(1+i√23)/2 and b =(1-i√23)/2

Trace(p^4-p^3)=trace(p^4)-trace(p^3)

Physics news on Phys.org
ajayguhan said:

Homework Statement

Let P be 2x2 complex matrice such that trace(p)=1 det(p)=-6 then trace(p^4-p^3) equals what...?

Homework Equations

Is there any formula for trace(A^n)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the two eigen values be a,b

a+b=1 a*b= -6 solving we get a=(1+i√23)/2 and b =(1-i√23)/2

Trace(p^4-p^3)=trace(p^4)-trace(p^3)

Trace identities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_(linear_algebra)

Last edited:

Related to What Does Trace(p^4-p^3) Equal for a 2x2 Complex Matrix with Given Properties?

What is a complex matrix?

A complex matrix is a matrix whose elements are complex numbers. A complex number is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number, written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

What is the trace of a complex matrix?

The trace of a complex matrix is the sum of the elements on the main diagonal of the matrix. In other words, it is the sum of the eigenvalues of the matrix.

How is the trace of a complex matrix calculated?

The trace of a complex matrix can be calculated by adding the real parts of the eigenvalues of the matrix. Alternatively, it can be calculated by adding the elements on the main diagonal of the matrix.

What is the significance of the trace of a complex matrix?

The trace of a complex matrix is an important property as it is invariant under similarity transformations, meaning that it remains the same regardless of how the matrix is transformed. This makes it useful in a variety of mathematical applications.

How can the trace of a complex matrix be used in applications?

The trace of a complex matrix can be used to calculate the determinant of the matrix, which is an important property in solving systems of linear equations. It is also used in the study of quantum mechanics and other areas of physics and engineering.