Why does the 'i' disappear in the simplification of a complex number sum?

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty in understanding a step in a complex number sum and the elimination of 'i' in the second step. The concept of modulus of a complex number is mentioned as the square root of the product of the number with its conjugate. It is also noted that the equality of |a+bi|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2} is a definition and not based on reasoning. Both identities mentioned in the conversation are interchangeable as one can be taken as the definition and the other as a theorem.
RoughRoad
In a complex number sum, I have encountered a minute difficulty in understanding a step:

[itex]\left|(cos\theta-1)+i.sin\theta\right|[/itex]
= [itex]\sqrt{}(cos\theta-1)^2+sin^2\theta[/itex]

Now my question is, how did the 'i' got eliminated from the second step? Now, i equals [itex]\sqrt{}-1[/itex], so when squared, there should be a minus sign in the second step. Can anyone help me clearing my basics?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you remembering that the modulus of a complex number is the square root of the product of the number with its conjugate? That is:

[tex]\left | a \right | = \sqrt{\overline{a}a},[/tex]

where

[tex]a =(\text{Re}(a)+i \, \text{Im}(a)),[/tex]

[tex]\overline{a}=(\text{Re}(a)-i \, \text{Im}(a)),[/tex]

and Re(a) is the real part of a, and Im(a) the imaginary part.

Thanks for the help! Simply ignored this basic rule initially.

The equality

[tex]|a+bi|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

is just the definition of the absolute value! There is no reasoning behind it, it's just true by definition. Your OP was also true by definition.

As often happens, we have two identities, and whichever is taken as the definition, the other pops out as a theorem.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the purpose of using complex numbers?

Complex numbers are used to represent quantities that cannot be described with real numbers alone. They are especially useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve problems involving waves, electricity, and many other phenomena.

3. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (2 + 3i) + (4 + 5i) = 6 + 8i. To subtract, you would do (2 + 3i) - (4 + 5i) = -2 - 2i.

4. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method just like you would with binomials. For example, (2 + 3i)(4 + 5i) = 8 + 10i + 12i + 15i^2 = -7 + 22i. To divide, use the complex conjugate of the denominator to simplify the expression.

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a number line?

No, complex numbers cannot be graphed on a traditional number line because they have two parts (real and imaginary). Instead, they are graphed on a complex plane, where the horizontal axis represents the real part and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part.