Complex number - calculation

In summary: $$1+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}i=e^{2i\pi}+e^{i\pi/6}$$$$1+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}i=e^{2i\pi}+e^{-i\pi/6}$$
TheColector
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi
I was hoping some of you would give me a clue on how to solve this complex number task.
z = (1 +(√3 /2) + i/2)^24 → x=(1 +(√3 /2), y= 1/2
I think there must be some nice looking way to solve it.
My way was to calculate |z| which was equal to [√(3+2√3)]/2 → cosθ = x/|z|, sinθ= y/|z|
After using De Moivre's formula I got very awful result which was:
z = |z|^24 * (cos(24*θ) + i sin(24*θ))
Can you think of any better looking way to solve this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheColector said:
Hi
I was hoping some of you would give me a clue on how to solve this complex number task.
My way was to calculate |z| which was equal to [√(3+2√3)]/2 → cosθ = x/|z|, sinθ= y/|z|
Have you tried simply squaring three times and cubing once?

TheColector said:
Hi

Work hard at determining ##\theta## as accurately as you can, because the result may surprise you. (Don't just give one or two decimal places; use as many places as is practical, or---even better----try for an "analytic", closed-form expression.)

TheColector said:
Hi
It's not clear to me what you're trying to do.
It appears that you want to write z in the form of x + iy. If so, x and y would not be as you show them above.
TheColector said:
In future posts, don't delete the homework template. Its use is required.

You can gain a lot of insight into the geometry by either squaring or cubing the expression then comparing the real and imaginary parts.

Sorry about deleting it. I won't do so in the future. What I meant with this → was to show the represenstative form of x and iy as a part of "z"

Better yet, consider the quantity that you raise to the 24th power, ##z_1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{1}{2}i##. Can you find angle ##\varphi## such that ##z_1=e^{i \varphi}## ? Then raise to the 24th power.

kuruman said:
Better yet, consider the quantity that you raise to the 24th power, ##z_1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{1}{2}i##. Can you find angle ##\varphi## such that ##z_1=e^{i \varphi}## ? Then raise to the 24th power.
Isn't that effectively what was tried in post #1? And it is 1+½√3+½i.
Looks like TheColector had trouble finding the angle. This is a lot easier after a single squaring or cubing.

haruspex said:
And it is 1+½√3+½i.
Sorry, I misread the parentheses. This makes the problem more interesting.
$$1+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}i=e^{2i\pi}+e^{i\pi/6}$$
Can you write this as the product of two terms?

(Edited to give less away)

Last edited:

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, which satisfies the equation i² = -1. The real part, a, represents the horizontal axis and the imaginary part, bi, represents the vertical axis on the complex plane.

What are the basic operations for complex numbers?

The basic operations for complex numbers are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Addition and subtraction are performed by combining the real parts and imaginary parts separately. Multiplication is done by using the FOIL method, and division involves multiplying the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

How are complex numbers represented on a graph?

Complex numbers are represented on a graph by plotting them on the complex plane. The horizontal axis represents the real part and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. The point where the two axes intersect is the origin, which is 0 + 0i.

What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is found by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 2 + 3i is 2 - 3i. This is important when dividing complex numbers as it helps eliminate the imaginary part in the denominator.

How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to represent alternating currents in electrical engineering, describe quantum mechanics in physics, and model financial data in economics. They also have applications in signal processing, control systems, and fluid dynamics, among others.