How to Solve Complex Number Equations with Modulus and Argument?

The solutions are cos(4pi/18), cos(12pi/18), cos(20pi/18) and sin(4pi/18), sin(12pi/18), sin(20pi/18). In summary, the modulus of 6^(1/2) + 2^(1/2)i is 8^(1/2) and the argument is pi/6. When solving the equation z^(3/4) = 6^(1/2) + 2^(1/2)i, the solutions for k=0 are cos(4pi/18), cos(12pi/18), cos(20pi/18) and sin(4pi/18), sin(12pi
HMPARTICLE

Homework Statement

a) Find the modulus and argument of 6^(1/2) + 2^(1/2)i

b) Solve the equation z^(3/4) = 6^(1/2) + 2^(1/2)i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) i used Pythagoras to find the modulus.

( (6^(1/2))^2 + (2^(1/2))^2 )^(1/2) = (6 + 2)^(1/2) = 8^(1/2)

and to find the principle argument of z i said arctan(2^(1/2)/6^(1/2) = pi/6

I assume this is correct.

for part b)

z^(3/4) = 6^(1/2) + 2^(1/2)i

Then

z^(3/4) = 8^(1/2)(cos(pi/6 + 2kpi) +isin(pi/6 + 2kpi))

Then raising the R.H.S of the Equation to 4/3 to get z and Then using de Moivre's theorem.

therefore z = 4(cos(4pi/18 + 8kpi/3) +isin(4pi/18 + 8kpi/3))

This is where i am stuck. As k [itex]\in Z [/itex] i can get a value of theta which is contained within
-pi < theta <= pi when k = 0.
if i assign a value of 1 to K then i get a value of [itex]\vartheta[/itex] which is greater than pi.
the answer i get when K = 0 is wrong and there are 3 solutions. So i must be doing something wrong elsewhere.

I'm sorry in advance if i have made a silly error.

Physics news on Phys.org
HMPARTICLE said:

Homework Statement

a) Find the modulus and argument of 6^(1/2) + 2^(1/2)i

b) Solve the equation z^(3/4) = 6^(1/2) + 2^(1/2)i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) i used Pythagoras to find the modulus.

( (6^(1/2))^2 + (2^(1/2))^2 )^(1/2) = (6 + 2)^(1/2) = 8^(1/2)

and to find the principle argument of z i said arctan(2^(1/2)/6^(1/2) = pi/6

I assume this is correct.

for part b)

z^(3/4) = 6^(1/2) + 2^(1/2)i

Then

Then raising the R.H.S of the Equation to 4/3 to get z and Then using de Moivre's theorem.

This is where i am stuck. As k [itex]\in Z [/itex] i can get a value of theta which is contained within
if i assign a value of 1 to K then i get a value of [itex]\vartheta[/itex] which is greater than pi.
the answer i get when K = 0 is wrong and there are 3 solutions. So i must be doing something wrong elsewhere.

Hi!

I want to focus first on your result for k=0. It looks right to me. What value are you supposed to get ? (this may be a silly comment but if you calculated a numerical value, were you in radians?)

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1410375999.969665.jpg

The answer 7b are the values I should be getting :/

HMPARTICLE said:

First rise the equation to power 4. You get z3. Then take the third roots of the number with k=0.

Related to How to Solve Complex Number Equations with Modulus and Argument?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the imaginary unit √-1.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 5i) = (3+2) + (4i+5i) = 5 + 9i.

3. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like you would for binomials. For example, (3 + 4i)(2 + 5i) = 6 + 15i + 8i + 20i² = 6 + 23i - 20 = -14 + 23i.

4. How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, you multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The complex conjugate of a + bi is a - bi. For example, (3 + 4i) / (2 + 5i) = (3 + 4i)(2 - 5i) / (2 + 5i)(2 - 5i) = (6 - 15i + 8i - 20i²) / (4 - 25i²) = (26 - 7i) / 29.

5. How are complex numbers used in real-life applications?

Complex numbers are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are important in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits and in signal processing for analyzing signals. They are also used in quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics. In economics, complex numbers are used for modeling economic systems and predicting financial trends.