How can I numerically integrate a complex function with Mathematica?

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex integration problem involving an integrand of the form Exp[-2*pi*i*(Rz+s*z)] and limits of integration from 0 to 4*pi. The speaker is trying to solve the integration in Mathematica but it only works when Z is replaced with Z^3. They ask if there is another numerical integration method that can handle complex numbers, and mention the possibility of using contour integration. Another person suggests splitting the integral into real and imaginary parts and using Simpson's method. Mathematica is not able to produce an antiderivative for this problem.
googleveena
I am stuck with a complex integration. Integrand looks like this:
Exp[-2*pi*i*(Rz+s*z)]. Integration is w.r.t z.
Where Rz is function of z, which is little complicated, but for simplicity we can assume z^3.
s is just other variable.
I was trying to do this integration in Mathematica. If I put Z instead of Z^3, then it runs otherwise it keeps running and never gives result.
Is there any other numerical integration method to perform this integration? I guess I can't do it in Simpson method, since this has complex number in it.
Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Veena

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know contour integration?

I think if you are going to pose an integration question you might want to specify the limits of the integration? If you want to integrate along a contour, what contour? If you want an antiderivative, what are R and S?

The limits of integration is 0 -> 4*pi. I guess it is not contour integration. There is no R. It is Rz, which is a function of z and S is another variable. after integration it will come in result.

Thanks
Vn

Mathematica won't be able to produce an antiderivative for something like that. Yes, you can do it numerically. To integrate f(z)dz just split the integral up into real and imaginary parts. Then you can use Simpson's method on each of the parts. You could also use Simpson directly on the complex form - but it might be clearer this way.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i" and is equal to the square root of -1. The real and imaginary parts of a complex number are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What is complex number integration?

Complex number integration is the process of finding the integral (or area under the curve) of a function that contains complex numbers. This involves integrating both the real and imaginary parts separately, and then combining them to get the final result.

3. Why do we need to integrate complex numbers?

Integrating complex numbers allows us to solve problems in various fields of mathematics and physics, such as in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering. It also helps us to understand the behavior of functions that contain complex numbers.

4. What are some common techniques used for complex number integration?

Some common techniques used for complex number integration include the substitution method, contour integration, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve manipulating and simplifying the complex integrals to make them easier to solve.

5. Are there any real-world applications of complex number integration?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of complex number integration. Some examples include calculating the power of an alternating current circuit, analyzing the behavior of electronic oscillators, and finding the electric field in a region with varying conductivity.