Help w/ Circuit Theory: Complex Numbers & Voltage

In summary, the individual is working on a circuit theory assignment and is seeking confirmation on their approach. They have a voltage value of 120 /_0 and are wondering if they can assume that Arctan(a/b) = 0, resulting in V = 120 in phase. They also have a v value of √2 x 415cos(100πt) and are questioning if they can say "t = 0" and end up with v = √2 x 415cos(0) where Cos(0) = 1. They are unsure if this is correct and if they are missing any steps.
Toolkit
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hi,

I'm working on an assignment for circuit theory, and I'm wondering if someone could let me know if I'm heading in the right direction?

1) I have a voltage value of 120 /_0 (polar form), from this can I assume that Arctan (a/b) =0, so voltage =120 in phase?

Therefore, V =120+J0, where V = a+jb

2) If I have a v = √2 x415cos(100πt) , basically can I say that "t = 0" , I end up with v = √2x415cos (0),

where Cos(0) = 1

is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
correct

You are heading in the right direction.
Check when you should be using Atan( a/b ), Atan( b/a ) or the Atan2( b, a ).

FAQ: Help w/ Circuit Theory: Complex Numbers & Voltage

1. What are complex numbers and how are they used in circuit theory?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. In circuit theory, they are used to represent the amplitude and phase of a voltage or current signal. They are particularly useful in AC circuits, where the voltage and current are constantly changing direction.

2. How do complex numbers help in understanding voltage in circuits?

Complex numbers are used to represent the voltage in a circuit as a phasor, which is a rotating vector in the complex plane. This allows us to visualize the amplitude and phase of the voltage signal, which is important in analyzing the behavior of AC circuits.

3. What is the relationship between complex numbers and impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an AC current in a circuit. It is represented by a complex number, where the real part represents the resistance and the imaginary part represents the reactance. This allows us to calculate the total impedance of a circuit using complex number arithmetic.

4. How do you calculate the voltage across a component using complex numbers?

To calculate the voltage across a component in an AC circuit, you can use Ohm's law (V=IR) with the complex impedance of the component. This will give you a complex number representing the amplitude and phase of the voltage signal. You can then convert this back to a time-domain voltage using the inverse Fourier transform.

5. Can you give an example of using complex numbers in voltage analysis of a circuit?

Sure! Let's say we have a series circuit with a resistor and an inductor. The voltage across the resistor is given by V=IR, where R is the resistance and I is the current. The voltage across the inductor is given by V=jωL, where j is the imaginary unit, ω is the angular frequency, and L is the inductance. To find the total voltage in the circuit, we can add these two complex numbers together (V=IR+jωL). This allows us to calculate the amplitude and phase of the total voltage, which can help us understand the behavior of the circuit.

Back