1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers Involving a Circle

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the equation [tex]|z - z_0| = R[/tex] of a circle, centered at [tex]z_0[/tex] with radius R, can be written

[tex]|z|^2 - 2Re(z\bar{z_0}) + |z_0|^2 = R^2[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly, I have no clue where to start with this problem. I know that I need to reduce the given equation to the basic equation of a circle but I do not know where to start.
    I also know that the two equations are almost exact except for the [tex]- 2Re(z\bar{z_0})[/tex] which should reduce to zero somehow I just do not know where to start.

I know [tex]Re(z) = Re(\bar{z}) = Re\frac{(z + \bar{z})}{2} = x[/tex]. Is this where I start?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Start with z=x+iy and z0=x0+iy0

4. Sep 1, 2009 #3
    Thank you for that tidbit it really helped me almost solve it. So here is what I got and I am stumped:

[tex]2Re(z\bar{z_0}) = 2\frac{z\bar{z_0} + \overline{z\bar{z_0}}}{2} = z\bar{z_0} + \bar{z}z_0[/tex]

[tex]z\bar{z_0} = (x+iy)(x_0 - iy_0) = (xx_0 - yy_0 + iyx_0 - xiy_0)[/tex]

[tex]\bar{z}z_0 = (x - iy)(x_0 + iy_0) = (xx_0 - yy_0 - iyx_0 + xiy_0)[/tex]

So [tex]z\bar{z_0} + \bar{z}z_0 = 2xx_0 - 2yy_0[/tex]

Is there a method where I can simplify this anymore? because I'm clueless.

5. Sep 1, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]|z- z_0|= \sqrt{(z- z_0)(\overline{z}- \overline{z_0})}[/itex] so [itex]z-z_0|= R[/itex] is the same as [itex]|z- z_0|= \sqrt{(z- z_0)(\overline{z}- \overline{z_0})}= R[/itex]. square both sides of that. I would NOT go to "x+ iy".

Sorry about the nessed up Latex!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  6. Sep 1, 2009 #5
    Thank you Halls but that seriously confuses me. I do not understand how I should apply it to my problem. Anyone else got anything in mind?

7. Sep 1, 2009 #6
    Neither would I use the "x+iy" route.
    Recall the identity [tex]z\overline{z} = |z|^{2}[/tex]

8. Sep 1, 2009 #7
    Thank you so much Fightfish. It was so easy to solve once I used that identity. Goes to show I need to learn the properties better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook