Complex orthogonality of electric and magnetic fields

In summary, the notion of orthogonality for complex vectors is not as intuitive as for real vectors and can lead to confusion when dealing with electromagnetic waves. While the dot product between complex vectors may not always result in zero, it is important to take the real parts of the fields when performing operations beyond linear operations or multiplications with real scalars or vectors. For example, the energy density and Poynting vector must have their real parts taken in order to accurately represent physical quantities.
aravantv
Hi,

I have a hard time finding a justification that electric and magnetic fields are still orthogonal when presented in complex form. As far as I know the notion of orthogonality for complex vectors is not as intuitive as the one for real vectors. Notably, [itex]\vec{x}\cdot\vec{y}=0[/itex] does not imply that [itex]\Re(\vec{x})\cdot\Re(\vec{y})=0[/itex] (the former dot product is a complex one, the latter is a real one).

Similarly, does the cross product relation between the electric field, the magnetic field, and the wave vector still hold?

Cheers,
V.

PS: I'm a novice in electromagnetism and a novice on this forum, please tell me if I did not respect any rule that I would be unaware of.

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I right by observing that all complex vectors that we meet in electromagnetism can be written as [itex]z\vec{x}[/itex] where [itex]z\in ℂ[/itex] but [itex]\vec{x}\in ℝ^{n}[/itex]?

In this case the complex cross and dot products can be easily reduced to their real counterparts:
[itex]z_1\vec{x_1}\odot z_2\vec{x_2}=(z_1z_2)(\vec{x_1}\cdot\vec{x_2})[/itex]
and
[itex]z_1\vec{x_1}\otimes z_2\vec{x_2}=(z_1z_2)(\vec{x_1}\times\vec{x_2})[/itex]
where [itex]\cdot[/itex] and [itex]\times[/itex] (resp. [itex]\odot[/itex] and [itex]\otimes[/itex]) are the real (resp. complex) dot and cross products.
At least this somewhat allows to retrieve the geometrical interpretation... ?

V.

The orthogonality holds. The dot operation takes place on the real basis vectors. The complex coefficients just go along for the ride.

This problem occurs usually when treating electromagnetic waves in terms of plane-wave modes. Then it is in most cases easier to simply write

[tex]\vec{E}=\vec{E}_0 \exp[-\mathrm{i} (\omega_{\vec{k}} t-\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})][/tex]

with [itex]\vec{E}_0 \in \mathbb{C}^3[/itex], [itex]\omega_{\vec{k}}=c |\vec{k}|[/itex], instead of taking the real part, which is of course the physical field meant to be described here. An analogous formula also holds for the magnetic components of the field or for the four-potential of the field.

Of course, this works only as long as you perform only linear operations like the standard differentialoperators, div and curl, or look at superpositions of fields, or cross and dot products with real vectors (like [itex]\vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}=0[/itex] for a free field in the vacuum).

As soon as you calculate something beyond linear operations or multiplications with real scalars or vectors like the energy density [itex]\mathcal{E}=(\vec{E}^2+\vec{B}^2)/[/itex] (in the vacuum with Heaviside-Lorentz units) or the Poynting vector [itex]\vec{S}=\vec{E} \times \vec{B}[/itex], you have to take the real parts of the fields first and do then the products.

Antiphon said:
The orthogonality holds. The dot operation takes place on the real basis vectors. The complex coefficients just go along for the ride.

Do you mean that we are indeed in the situation that I described in my second post?

vanhees71 said:
(...)As soon as you calculate something beyond linear operations or multiplications with real scalars or vectors like the energy density [itex]\mathcal{E}=(\vec{E}^2+\vec{B}^2)/[/itex] (in the vacuum with Heaviside-Lorentz units) or the Poynting vector [itex]\vec{S}=\vec{E} \times \vec{B}[/itex], you have to take the real parts of the fields first and do then the products.

So you mean that [itex]\vec E\cdot\vec B=0[/itex] holds only for the real parts of both vectors? It seems contradictory to what Antiphon just wrote, isn't it?

vanhees71 said:
Of course, this works only as long as you perform only linear operations like the standard differentialoperators, div and curl, or look at superpositions of fields, or cross and dot products with real vectors (like [itex]\vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}=0[/itex] for a free field in the vacuum).

I think I've seen in some contexts some complex wavevectors [itex]\vec k[/itex]. Then, from what you say, it means that [itex]\vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}=0[/itex] does not hold in such a context?

No, that's not what I said. Complex wave numbers appear, e.g., in the solution of the Maxwell equations in wave guides. The imaginary part in the wave number describes just the damping of the wave.

vanhees71 said:
No, that's not what I said.
But you wrote that the operation was valid only if one complex vector only was involved, right?

vanhees71 said:
Complex wave numbers appear, e.g., in the solution of the Maxwell equations in wave guides. The imaginary part in the wave number describes just the damping of the wave.

Ok, so what does this tell me about the dot product?

vanhees71 said:
This problem occurs usually when treating electromagnetic waves in terms of plane-wave modes. Then it is in most cases easier to simply write

[tex]\vec{E}=\vec{E}_0 \exp[-\mathrm{i} (\omega_{\vec{k}} t-\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})][/tex]

with [itex]\vec{E}_0 \in \mathbb{C}^3[/itex], [itex]\omega_{\vec{k}}=c |\vec{k}|[/itex], instead of taking the real part, which is of course the physical field meant to be described here. An analogous formula also holds for the magnetic components of the field or for the four-potential of the field.

As soon as you calculate something beyond linear operations or multiplications with real scalars or vectors like the energy density [itex]\mathcal{E}=(\vec{E}^2+\vec{B}^2)/[/itex] (in the vacuum with Heaviside-Lorentz units) or the Poynting vector [itex]\vec{S}=\vec{E} \times \vec{B}[/itex], you have to take the real parts of the fields first and do then the products.

Actually the Poynting expression you have for S remains in the complex domain. The real part of S is energy that traverses the surface. The imaginary part of S represents reactive power (power which crosses back and forth across the surface on each cycle.)

1. What is complex orthogonality?

Complex orthogonality refers to the relationship between two vectors that are both perpendicular and orthogonal to each other. In the context of electric and magnetic fields, this means that the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other at any given point in space.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields exhibit complex orthogonality?

Electric and magnetic fields exhibit complex orthogonality because they are both components of an electromagnetic wave. This means that they are both perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the wave, and also to each other.

3. Why is complex orthogonality important in understanding electromagnetic waves?

Complex orthogonality is important in understanding electromagnetic waves because it helps us to visualize and analyze the behavior of these waves. It allows us to understand the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields, and how they work together to create an electromagnetic wave.

4. How does complex orthogonality impact the propagation of electromagnetic waves?

Complex orthogonality plays a crucial role in the propagation of electromagnetic waves. It ensures that the electric and magnetic fields are always perpendicular to each other, which allows the wave to travel through space without any interference or loss of energy.

5. Can you provide an example of complex orthogonality in real life?

An example of complex orthogonality in real life is the operation of a radio antenna. The electric and magnetic fields of the electromagnetic wave created by the antenna are perpendicular to each other, allowing the wave to propagate through space and be received by a radio receiver.