How do I calculate the net resistance in a complex resistor circuit?

In summary, The person is confused about a circuit and how to calculate the net resistance. They ask for help and are advised to read about Wheatstone's principle and use series and parallel concepts to solve the problem. The respondent says they will provide more advice later.
Spyder22
I really confused by this circuit: http://myspace.homelinux.com:32123/circuit.jpg
When calculating the net resistance from A to C, how do I know if any current goes through 2 and 7? If there was current going through them, I have clue how they would contribute to the total circuit. For the second question, I don't even know where to start. Obviosly, the net resistance will be a little lower than just 1, but how the heck would you figure out the rest of it?? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hello buddy ,
you please go and take your physics book and read wheatstones principle. In the given circuit since all resistances are having same value .there is no current in the segment connecting B&D.Now I think it will be eay for you,remove boxes
2 and 7.Using series ,parallel concepts you can solve the first part.(it is just R itself)

The second part is a bit tricky I'll tell it tomarrow

Thank you Rohin, I suspected there would be no current through those two resistors, but did not know how to prove it. I will have to read more on the internet about these wheatstone princeples as my book doesn't cover it. This makes the first problem very easy, but if you could provide some suggestions for the second that would be great! :smile:

Related to How do I calculate the net resistance in a complex resistor circuit?

1. What is a complex resistor circuit?

A complex resistor circuit is a network of resistors that are connected in different configurations, such as series or parallel, to create a more complex circuit. It is used to control the flow of electricity and can be found in various electronic devices, including computers, televisions, and cell phones.

2. How is a complex resistor circuit different from a simple resistor circuit?

A simple resistor circuit consists of only one resistor, while a complex resistor circuit has multiple resistors connected in different ways. This allows for more control over the flow of electricity and can provide different levels of resistance.

3. What are the advantages of using a complex resistor circuit?

Complex resistor circuits offer several advantages, including the ability to fine-tune the resistance and control the flow of electricity more precisely. They also allow for the distribution of heat, which helps prevent overheating and damage to electronic devices.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a complex resistor circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a complex resistor circuit, you need to use Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. You can also use Kirchhoff's laws and apply them to the different parts of the circuit to determine the total resistance.

5. What are some common applications of complex resistor circuits?

Complex resistor circuits have a wide range of applications, including in electronic devices, power supplies, and lighting systems. They are also commonly used in automotive electronics, communication systems, and medical equipment.