Complex Square Root Analyticity

In summary: I think I understand now. The two branch cuts allow for analyticity in the interior of the unit disk because they both cross the branch cut. So if I express each of the parts as mentioned there that will give me an analytic branch on the interior of the unit disk?Yes, use the branch cut (-infinity,-1] for ##(z+1)^{1/2}## and [1,infinity) for ##(z-1)^{1/2}##. The function of the branch cuts is to make sure every path that circles a branch point will cross a branch cut.So if I take my branch point at z=-1 and express ##(z+1)^{1/2
ferret123

Homework Statement

Let f(z) denote the multivalued function [itex](z^{2} − 1)^{1/2}[/itex]
Define a branch of f(z) which is analytic in the interior of the unit disk |z| < 1

2. The attempt at a solution
Having a bit of trouble getting started.
I have rewritten f(z) as [itex]((z-1)(z+1))^{1/2}[/itex] as per a hint in the question.
Giving me branch points at z=1 and z=-1 and a branch cut between.
I could rewrite each part in terms of polar representation but there I get stuck on defining which argument to take for my branch.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ferret123 said:

Homework Statement

Let f(z) denote the multivalued function [itex](z^{2} − 1)^{1/2}[/itex]
Define a branch of f(z) which is analytic in the interior of the unit disk |z| < 12. The attempt at a solution
Having a bit of trouble getting started.
I have rewritten f(z) as [itex]((z-1)(z+1))^{1/2}[/itex] as per a hint in the question.
Giving me branch points at z=1 and z=-1 and a branch cut between.
I could rewrite each part in terms of polar representation but there I get stuck on defining which argument to take for my branch.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Who is forcing you to take the branch cut along the real segment [-1,1]? If you do that you cannot make your f(z) analytic in the unit disk about z = 0, at least not easily.

Last edited:
No one is forcing me to, I suppose I could alternatively take branch cuts from -1 to -infinity and from 1 to infinity. I'm still having difficulty making the next step, does my choice of branch cut like this mean I have analyticity everywhere but on the cuts or have I misunderstood them?

ferret123 said:
No one is forcing me to, I suppose I could alternatively take branch cuts from -1 to -infinity and from 1 to infinity. I'm still having difficulty making the next step, does my choice of branch cut like this mean I have analyticity everywhere but on the cuts or have I misunderstood them?

Yes, use the branch cut (-infinity,-1] for ##(z+1)^{1/2}## and [1,infinity) for ##(z-1)^{1/2}##. The function of the branch cuts is to make sure every path that circles a branch point will cross a branch cut.

So if I take my branch point at z=-1 and express ##(z+1)^{1/2}## in polar form I would let it's argument vary from (-pi, pi] so it starts and ends at the branch cut then do a similar thing around the other branch point except varying [0, 2pi)?

ferret123 said:
So if I take my branch point at z=-1 and express ##(z+1)^{1/2}## in polar form I would let it's argument vary from (-pi, pi] so it starts and ends at the branch cut then do a similar thing around the other branch point except varying [0, 2pi)?

That sounds roughly correct. Except the intervals aren't going to include the end points pi and 0, right?

Ok because then it would be crossing the branch cut? So if I express each of the parts as mentioned there that will give me an analytic branch on the interior of the unit disk?

ferret123 said:
Ok because then it would be crossing the branch cut? So if I express each of the parts as mentioned there that will give me an analytic branch on the interior of the unit disk?

Well, yes. The only places the product of the functions won't be analytic is along the branch cuts. None of those places are in the interior of the unit disk, are they?

Last edited:
No so the branch is analytic there, thanks. The next part of the question asks for analyticity on the exterior of the disk with the hint ##z^{2} - 1 = z^{2}(1-z^{-2})##. I assume I approach this in a similar way except a branch cut from 1 to -1 now makes more sense?

ferret123 said:
No so the branch is analytic there, thanks. The next part of the question asks for analyticity on the exterior of the disk with the hint ##z^{2} - 1 = z^{2}(1-z^{-2})##. I assume I approach this in a similar way except a branch cut from 1 to -1 now makes more sense?

Sounds like a good strategy.

Ok thanks for all help and clarification

Dick said:
That sounds roughly correct. Except the intervals aren't going to include the end points pi and 0, right?
Could you (or someone) explain why the intervals for the branch cuts don't include the endpoints? A branch cut for ##(z+1)^{1/2}## is the line extending from -1 to infinity. So ##(z+1)^{1/2}## is discontinuous across this line. I thought by leaving one of the endpoints open, it would not be a problem since we guarantee discontinuity.

Also, why is that these two branch cuts necessarily allow for analyticity in the interior of the unit disk?

Thanks.

What is "Complex Square Root Analyticity"?

Complex Square Root Analyticity is a concept in mathematics and complex analysis that refers to the ability of a function to be expressed as a square root of a complex variable. It is a property of complex functions that allows for the calculation of derivatives and integrals, making it a useful tool in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What does it mean for a function to be "analytic"?

Analyticity is a property of functions that refers to their ability to be expressed as a power series. In other words, an analytic function can be approximated by a polynomial with an infinite number of terms. This property is important because it allows for the use of calculus and other mathematical tools to understand and manipulate the function.

How does complex square root analyticity differ from real square root analyticity?

Complex square root analyticity and real square root analyticity are similar in that both refer to the ability of a function to be expressed as a square root. However, in complex analysis, the square root is taken of a complex variable, whereas in real analysis, it is taken of a real variable. Additionally, complex square root analyticity requires the function to be analytic in both the real and imaginary parts, while real square root analyticity only requires analyticity in the real part.

What are some applications of complex square root analyticity?

Complex square root analyticity has a wide range of applications in mathematics and other fields. In physics, it is used in the study of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, where complex numbers are often used to represent physical quantities. In engineering, it is used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits and signal processing. It also has applications in computer graphics, where it is used to create and manipulate complex shapes and images.

How is complex square root analyticity related to other concepts in complex analysis?

Complex square root analyticity is closely related to other concepts in complex analysis, such as holomorphicity and conformal mapping. Holomorphic functions are those that are differentiable at every point in their domain, and complex square root analyticity is a special case of this. Conformal mapping refers to the preservation of angles and shapes under a transformation, and many functions that exhibit complex square root analyticity are also conformal maps.