Complex Taylor series

In summary: This solution is optimal as it follows the standard method of decomposing a complex function into its real and imaginary parts.
DicoMico
TASK:
Assuming a complex function f(z) can be expanded as a Taylor series around z=0, i.e.:

[tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}z^n[/tex]

Setting z=r*exp(i*theta), assuming a_n is real, find real part u(r, theta), imaginary part v(r,theta).

Comment the result, especially for r=1.

MY SOLUTION:
[tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}r^n(e^{i\theta})^n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}r^n(cosn\theta+isinn\theta)[/tex]

[tex]u(r,\theta)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}r^n(cosn\theta)[/tex]
[tex]v(r,\theta)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}r^n(sinn\theta)[/tex]

So I am to comment on the result.. What is there to say? I have "decomposed" the complex series into two real series, but this is kindo given; I'm sure they're asking for another comment.. Ideas?

Is this an "optimal" solution BTW, or are there any other possibilities? Later on I'm asked to find real part of a expansion of ln.

Physics news on Phys.org
ANSWER:The result of decomposing a complex function into its real and imaginary parts is that it allows us to analyze the behavior of the function in terms of its real and imaginary components. When r=1, it means the function is evaluated at a point on the unit circle and therefore, the real part u(r,theta) gives us the x-coordinate of this point and the imaginary part v(r,theta) gives us the y-coordinate of this point. This can be used to graph the complex function's behavior and visualize how it changes with varying values of theta.

1. What is a Complex Taylor series?

A Complex Taylor series is a mathematical technique used to represent a complex-valued function as an infinite sum of simpler functions. It is an extension of the regular Taylor series, which is used for real-valued functions.

2. How is a Complex Taylor series calculated?

A Complex Taylor series is calculated using the same formula as a regular Taylor series, which involves taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the series. However, in a Complex Taylor series, the derivatives are calculated using complex numbers rather than real numbers.

3. What is the importance of Complex Taylor series in mathematics?

Complex Taylor series are important in mathematics because they allow us to approximate complex functions and make calculations easier. They are also used in physics, engineering, and other applied sciences to model and solve complex problems.

4. Can a Complex Taylor series represent any complex-valued function?

No, a Complex Taylor series can only represent analytic functions, which are functions that can be expressed as a power series. This means that the function must be infinitely differentiable at every point in its domain.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Complex Taylor series?

Yes, Complex Taylor series have many real-life applications. They are used in signal processing, control theory, and electronic circuit analysis, among others. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics.