How can the trig identity |cos(z)|^2 = cos^2x + sinh^2y be proven?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving z = x + iy and the equation |cos(z)|^2 = cos^2x + sinh^2y. The person gets stuck and questions whether they made a mistake or if there is a trigonometry identity they are missing. They eventually realize the given answer is incorrect and discuss potential counterexamples. They also consider continuing the proof with a substitution, but have not yet worked out the details.
mattmns
I am asked to prove the following: (Note: z = x + iy)

|cos(z)|2 = cos2x + sinh2y
---------------

So I started the following way:

|cos(z)|2 = |cos(x+iy)|2
= |cos(x)cosh(y) - i(sin(x)sinh(y))|2
= cos2(x)cosh2(y) + sin2(x)sinh2(y) [after having square root squared removed]

once I got here I was stuck. I am just not seeing how we can get this to equal cos2x + sinh2y

Is there some silly trig identity I don't know? Or did I make a mistake? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're right and the given answer is wrong. Try plugging in a few values of z to check.

I thought about it maybe being wrong too, never thought of pluging in values though, duh! :smile:

Take [itex]z = \pi / 2[/itex] and clearly we get something different on both sides. Guess I will talk to my professor about it since he wrote the homework himself. Thanks!

Last edited:
Actually, my z = pi/2 is not a counterexample (since x = pi/2 and y = 0, we get 0 on both sides).

For the actual proof, I just need to continue where I left off, but change sin2 to 1-cos2, which supposedly gets what we want (I have yet to work it out).

1. What is a complex trig identity?

A complex trig identity is a mathematical expression that relates trigonometric functions with complex numbers. It is used to simplify and manipulate complex trigonometric equations.

2. What is the most commonly used complex trig identity?

The most commonly used complex trig identity is Euler's formula, which states that eix = cos(x) + i sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit.

3. How is a complex trig identity derived?

A complex trig identity is derived using the basic trigonometric identities and Euler's formula. By substituting eix for cos(x) + i sin(x), complex trigonometric equations can be simplified and solved.

4. What are some applications of complex trig identities?

Complex trig identities are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering. They are also used in solving problems involving waves, oscillations, and rotations.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of complex trig identities?

You can practice and improve your understanding of complex trig identities by solving various problems and equations involving complex numbers and trigonometric functions. You can also explore their applications in different fields and try to apply them to real-world situations.