1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Component vectors

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    Hello, im slightly confused with component vectors.

if im trying to add two vectors, which are 33m/s [W33E] and 53m/s [N54W] i have to
    break them down in to x and y component.
    i can get them by using cos and sin.

but there are some occasions where im not sure if the degree im using is correct.

for example for 33m/s the xcomponent would be 33cos33 and ycompoent would be 33sin33.

when do we ever use 33cos-33 ? beacuse i know there are some occasions where negative angle is neccesary or even (180-33) obtuse angle to find the component.

please could anyone clarify this for me thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2
    I don't understand your notation [W33E]... are they something to do with the compass points?

4. Nov 26, 2009 #3
    To add two or more vectors, just add their x and y components respectively. Simple as that. Your notation seems odd, though.

5. Nov 26, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your [W33E] notation is incorrect. The other heading, [N54W], means 54 degrees west of north. The first one should probably be either N33E or S33E.

6. Nov 26, 2009 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw the vector with its tail at the origin. Then draw a polar coordinate angle from the positive x axis to the vector. It doesn't matter whether you go counterclockwise with a positive [itex]\theta[/itex] or clockwise with a negative [itex]\theta[/itex]. Do whichever seems more natural for the vector you are considering. In either case you will get [itex]x = r\cos\theta,\ y = r\sin\theta[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook