Components and operations of electric generators

In summary, the individual is an industrial engineer on an internship and needs to understand the major components and operations of electric generators for their work. They are seeking a book or primer to quickly introduce them to the science and applications related to generators, such as reactive power, mechanical engines, and air venting. They mention being comfortable with freshmen-level physics and introductory electrical engineering material and suggest looking for a textbook on electric machines, which covers generators, motors, and drives.
ych22
Hi everyone, I am an industrial engineer who is on a internship. For the purposes of my work, I need to understand the major components and operations of electric generators; I am not looking for knowledge that would allow me to design and critique, but just seek sufficient knowledge that would enable me to catalog past generator-projects done in my company.

Could anyone recommend a book, a primer of sorts, that would quickly introduce me to the science and applications of the knowledge behind generators? E.g. reactive power, mechanical engines, air venting etc.

I am fairly comfortable with my freshmen-level physics and introductory electrical engineering material.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd see if any of your coworkers (or your local library, bookstore, Borders / B&N / Amazon) has a textbook on electric machines (this includes generators, motors, and drives).

1. What is an electric generator?

An electric generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of several components that work together to produce this energy, including a rotor, stator, and various electrical connections.

2. How does an electric generator work?

An electric generator works by using the principles of electromagnetic induction. As the rotor spins, it creates a changing magnetic field that induces an electric current in the stator windings, producing electricity.

3. What are the main components of an electric generator?

The main components of an electric generator include the rotor, stator, exciter, governor, and various electrical connections. The rotor is the rotating part of the generator, while the stator is the stationary part. The exciter is responsible for providing electrical energy to the rotor, and the governor controls the speed of the rotor.

4. What are the different types of electric generators?

There are several types of electric generators, including AC generators, DC generators, and synchronous and asynchronous generators. AC generators produce alternating current, while DC generators produce direct current. Synchronous generators are connected to a power grid, while asynchronous generators are used for smaller applications.

5. What are the common uses for electric generators?

Electric generators have a wide range of uses, including providing backup power during power outages, powering large industrial equipment, and generating electricity in remote areas. They are also commonly used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants.