Composition Factors cyclic IFF finite group soluble

In summary, the conversation discusses the logic of a group being soluble and the relationship between cyclic composition factors and subnormal series with abelian factors. It is stated that if a group is soluble, it must have a subnormal series with abelian factors, and if these factors are already in the composition series, they are both simple and abelian, thus cyclic. The question is raised about the abelian nature of new factors when refining a series, and it is explained that this is due to the isomorphism theorem and the main theorem of subnormal series. This leads to the conclusion that a composition series will have simple abelian factors, meaning they are cyclic of prime order.
TaliskerBA
Hey, just trying to get my head around the logic of this. I can see that if composition factors are cyclic then clearly the group is soluble, since there exists a subnormal series with abelian factors, but I am struggling to see how the converse holds. If a group is soluble, then it has a subnormal series with abelian factors, and if this is already the composition series then given that the factors are both simple and abelian, they are cyclic. But when refining a series and adding in new "terms", why should the new factors be abelian? I know they are simple if they are in the composition series, but just trying to see why it must be that they are abelian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a solvable group ##G## and a subnormal series ##\{\,0\,\} =G_0 \triangleleft G_1 \triangleleft \ldots \triangleleft G_n=G## with Abelian factors. Now let's look at a refinement, say ##G_i \triangleleft H \triangleleft G_{i+1}##. Then ##H/G_i## is Abelian as a subgroup of the Abelian group ##G_{i+1}/G_i##. But then by the isomorphism theorem ##G_{i+1}/H \cong \left( G_{i+1}/G_i \right)/\left( H/G_i \right)## is also Abelian. By the main theorem of subnormal series, our given series can be refined to a composition series, which must have simple Abelian factors. But simple and Abelian means cyclic of prime order.

1. What is meant by "composition factors cyclic" in relation to finite groups?

"Composition factors cyclic" refers to a property of a finite group where its composition factors, which are the prime factors of the group's order, are all cyclic groups. This means that each composition factor can be generated by a single element and all elements in the factor can be expressed as powers of that generator.

2. How does the property of composition factors being cyclic impact a finite group?

Having composition factors that are cyclic makes a finite group easier to study and understand, as the structure of cyclic groups is well-known and simple. It also allows for certain properties and theorems, such as the Jordan-Hölder theorem, to be applied to the group.

3. Can a finite group have composition factors that are not cyclic?

Yes, it is possible for a finite group to have composition factors that are not cyclic. In fact, most finite groups do not have all cyclic composition factors. However, having all cyclic composition factors is a desirable property as it simplifies the group's structure and allows for easier analysis.

4. What is the relationship between being soluble and having cyclic composition factors?

A finite group is considered soluble if it has a subnormal series with cyclic composition factors. This means that each subgroup in the series has a cyclic factor group, and the group itself has cyclic composition factors. Therefore, a finite group with only cyclic composition factors is also soluble, but a soluble group may not necessarily have all cyclic composition factors.

5. Are there any other types of composition factors besides cyclic ones?

Yes, there are other types of composition factors that a finite group can have, such as abelian, simple, or alternating groups. These factors can provide different information about the group's structure and properties. However, cyclic composition factors are often preferred as they are simpler and more easily understood.