Composition of functions - find range

In summary: Surely the question was just asking 'are any of these two questions equal?' And the answer would then be 'yes, the first two are equal'.
sara_87
Good evening guys, i have two stupid questions that I'm stuck on and i would be grateful if anyone could help

Question 1:

f(x)= x+1 g(x)=x^2

the domain in each case is the interval [-1,1] and belongs to the set of real numbers then find the range of:

(fog)(x)

My Answer:

i found (fog) to be x^2 +1 then i put in -1,0 and 1 to get the range

or should i do (fog)*(x) which would make it x^3 + x

Question 2:

determine which of the following questions are equal:

f:{1} -> N (the set N) and g:R-> R (the set R) be functions given by

f(x)=x-1 and g(x)=0

My Answer

f(x) not equal g(x)

because 0 doesn't belong to the set N ?

(i feel so dum asking these questions!)

Physics news on Phys.org
sara_87 said:
Good evening guys, i have two stupid questions that I'm stuck on and i would be grateful if anyone could help

Question 1:

f(x)= x+1 g(x)=x^2

the domain in each case is the interval [-1,1] and belongs to the set of real numbers then find the range of:

(fog)(x)

My Answer:

i found (fog) to be x^2 +1 then i put in -1,0 and 1 to get the range
correct
or should i do (fog)*(x) which would make it x^3 + x

No, (fog)(x) means f(g(x)), so you do as you did above.. apply g to the x, then apply f to g(x)

Question 2:

f(x)=x-1 and g(x)=0

My Answer

f(x) not equal g(x)

correct
(i feel so dum asking these questions!)

No need to feel dumb: the only way to learn is to ask questions!

thanx cristo!

sara_87 said:

what do you mean by 'question'? And what do you mean by 'which of them are equal'? Sorry, but that sentence doesn't make any sense, and I can't guess at what you mean.

f(x)=x-1 and g(x)=0

well, those are two obviously unequal *functions*, since they have different domains and ranges. (And it is moot whether or not 0 is or is not in N.)

My Answer

f(x) not equal g(x)

If 0 is not in your set N, then f is not even a properly defined function.

Even 'which of the following functions are equal?' doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
the question refers to the different parts of it

i.e determine which of the following questions are equal:

a)f:{1} -> N (the set N) and g:R-> R (the set R) be functions given by

f(x)=x-1 and g(x)=0

b) (another one)

c) (another one)

i left the question in plural form to avoid confusion...looks like i did the opposite.

also i was asking if 0 belonged to the set N...but now i know that it does and that the function f and g are not equal because they have different domains and co domains thanks to you.

'(And it is moot whether or not 0 is or is not in N.)'

what does moot mean?

sara_87 said:
the question refers to the different parts of it

i.e determine which of the following questions are equal:

This still doesn't make any sense. Even if you're to acutally put three parts to the question in it will not make sense. There are no questions at all, and it would be strange to ever ask when questions are equal.
a)f:{1} -> N (the set N) and g:R-> R (the set R) be functions given by

f(x)=x-1 and g(x)=0

b) (another one)

c) (another one)

i left the question in plural form to avoid confusion...looks like i did the opposite.

But surely you just have to read the sentence you wrote to understand that I'm not making any comment on mathematics. It genuinely is not something that made sense, nor does it even now.

It would be strange if the question actually asked 'are *those* two functions equal', because they clearly are not equal functions. Hence my continued confusion. And your answer that 0 was not in N didnt' help me work out what it was that you were trying to answer. It is very important to actually write the question you were asked, not what you think you were asked so that people can help.

also i was asking if 0 belonged to the set N...but now i know that it does and that the function f and g are not equal because they have different domains and co domains thanks to you.

'(And it is moot whether or not 0 is or is not in N.)'

what does moot mean?

If you're ever not sure of the meaning of a word, and a dictionary is not to hand, then you can either google for the meaning (there are lots of free dictionaries on the web), or just google the word itself, then in the slightly blue bar going across the screen above the results the words you searched for are listed, with links to definitions of all the words. I realize it would be shorter to actually define it for you, but this is useful information. There is no reason to ever be in doubt abuot the meaning of a word.

Last edited:
determine which of the following 'questions' are equal
damn i meant functions! not questions!

now it makes sense doesn't it?

even though i wrote the qusetion wrong and you said that it 'doesn't make any sense' you still managed to answer it for me...cheers!

Had I known that was precisely what the question asked, then I would have been duty bound *not* to have answered as I did. I didn't believe that they would actually ask that question of *those* two functions.

1. What is the definition of composition of functions?

Composition of functions is a mathematical operation that combines two or more functions to create a new function. It involves using the output of one function as the input for another function.

2. How do you find the range of a composition of functions?

To find the range of a composition of functions, you need to first find the range of the innermost function. Then, you can use the output of the inner function as the input for the outer function and continue this process until you reach the outermost function. The range of the composition of functions is the set of all possible output values.

3. Can the range of a composition of functions be smaller than the range of the individual functions?

Yes, the range of a composition of functions can be smaller than the range of the individual functions. This can happen when the range of one function does not include all possible values that can be produced by the other function.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of functions that can be composed?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the types of functions that can be composed. The inner function must have a domain that is a subset of the domain of the outer function. Additionally, the output of the inner function must be a valid input for the outer function.

5. Can the order of composition of functions be changed?

Yes, the order of composition of functions can be changed. However, this may result in a different range for the composition of functions. It is important to consider the order of composition when finding the range of a composition of functions.