What is the matrix representation of T ο L with respect to E?

Here, we are applying L first, then T. In summary, given two linear transformations, L and T, with respect to the standard basis, the matrix representation of the composition of those transformations, T o L, is the product of the matrices representing L and T.
crashh

Homework Statement

The problem states that we have L as the linear transformation as:
\begin{align*}
A=
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
2 & 0 & 1 \\
-2 & 3 & 2 \\
4 & 1 & 5
\end{array}
\right)
\end{align*}

And when given another linear transformation T as:
\begin{align*}
B=
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
-3 & 1 & 0 \\
2 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & -1 & 3
\end{array}
\right)
\end{align*}

Then find the matrix representation of T ο L with respect to E(which is the standard basis, as are both transformations).

T ο L is the composition of T and L.

Homework Equations

I assumed you could just multiply the two matrices togeather, as they share the same basis, thus getting the composition of the two lineartransformations?

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{align*}
T&=B=
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
-3 & 1 & 0 \\
2 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & -1 & 3
\end{array}
\right)\\
L&=A=
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
2 & 0 & 1 \\
-2 & 3 & 2 \\
4 & 1 & 5
\end{array}
\right)\\
\end{align*}

\begin{align*}
BA&=
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
-3 & 1 & 0 \\
2 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & -1 & 3
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
2 & 0 & 1 \\
-2 & 3 & 2 \\
4 & 1 & 5
\end{array}
\right)\\
&=
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
-8 & 3 & -1 \\
8 & 1 & 7 \\
14 & 0 & 13
\end{array}
\right)
\end{align*}

Or is this completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check that you multiplied the matrices together correctly, but assuming you did, that's the right answer.

crashh said:
I assumed you could just multiply the two matrices togeather, as they share the same basis, thus getting the composition of the two lineartransformations?
No need to assume it. The number on row i, column j of the matrix corresponding to an arbitrary linear operator A is ##A_{ij}=\langle e_i,Ae_j\rangle##. So
\begin{align}
&(T\circ L)_{ij}=\langle e_i,(T\circ L)e_j\rangle =\langle e_i,T(Le_j)\rangle =\left\langle e_i,T\left(\sum_k \langle e_k,Le_j\rangle e_k\right)\right\rangle\\
&=\sum_k\langle e_k,Le_j\rangle \langle e_i,Te_k\rangle =\sum_k L_{kj}T_{ik} =\sum_k T_{ik}L_{kj}.
\end{align}

Yes, that is the correct product of the two matrices. One way to remember how to multiply matrices is to think of the rows of the first matrix and the columns of the second matrix as "vectors". If [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] is the number in the i row, j column of the product matrix, then [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] is the dot product of the i row of the first matrix and the j column of the second matrix.

For example, the first row of the first matrix, B, is <-3, 1, 0> and the first column of the second matrix, A, is <2, -, 4> so the number in the first row, first column, of BA is (-3)(2)+ 1(-2)+ 0(4)= -8 as you have.

And, of course, the order of the multiplication (BA rather than AB) is important because matrix multiplication is NOT commutative. The multiplication of the matrices must be the same as the order in which the transformation are applied.

What is the meaning of "composition of two matrices"?

The composition of two matrices refers to the process of combining two matrices in a specific order to create a new matrix. This is done by multiplying the first matrix with the second matrix.

What is the formula for finding the composition of two matrices?

The formula for finding the composition of two matrices is A*B = C, where A and B are the two matrices being multiplied and C is the resulting matrix.

What are the properties of composition of two matrices?

The properties of composition of two matrices include: associativity, distributivity, and non-commutativity. These properties dictate the order in which the matrices are multiplied and the result of the composition.

What are some real-world applications of composition of two matrices?

Composition of two matrices is commonly used in computer graphics, physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to represent transformations, such as rotations and translations, and to solve systems of equations.

How do I calculate the composition of two matrices?

To calculate the composition of two matrices, first make sure that the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, multiply the corresponding elements of each row of the first matrix with the corresponding elements of each column of the second matrix. Finally, add the products to get the elements of the resulting matrix.