Compound interest using DE

In summary: ZWxvcGVyIHRoYW4gdGhlIGJhY2tncm91bmQgYXMgbW9yZSBhbW91bnQgdGltZSB0byB0IGsgKGFuZCB0aGlzIGFyZ3VtZW50IGxpbmVzKSByZXR1cm4gcG9zc2libGUgY29udGludWVyLW9mIHRoZSBkb2N1bWVudCBhY2NvdW50IGF0IHRoZSBhY3Rpb24gYWZ0ZXIgVCB5ZWFycy5
Haethe

Homework Statement

Assume that Po dollars is deposited into an account paying r percent compounded continuously. If withdrawals are at an annual rate of 200t dollars (assume these are continuous) find the amount in the account after T years.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two differential equations, but I'm not sure which one will work:

dp/dt= rP+200t

Or,

dp/dt = rP +200

My first choice was the 1st one, but I searched the question on google, and people said that the DE is the second one. Can you tell me the correct equation, and explain why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haethe said:

Homework Statement

Assume that Po dollars is deposited into an account paying r percent compounded continuously. If withdrawals are at an annual rate of 200t dollars (assume these are continuous) find the amount in the account after T years.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two differential equations, but I'm not sure which one will work:

dp/dt= rP+200t

Or,

dp/dt = rP +200

My first choice was the 1st one, but I searched the question on google, and people said that the DE is the second one. Can you tell me the correct equation, and explain why?

If B(t) is the balance at time t (that is, the amount in the account), look at what happens over the short time interval from t to t + Δt. How much money is withdrawn in time Δt? How much interest es earned in time Δt? What will be the new balance B(t+Δt) at time t + Δt?

Working carefully through the details like that is the way to ensure getting the correct DE.

RGV

1. What is compound interest?

Compound interest is a financial concept in which interest is earned on both the initial principal amount and the accumulated interest from previous periods. This results in a faster growth of the investment compared to simple interest.

2. How is compound interest calculated using differential equations?

The formula for calculating compound interest using differential equations is A(t) = P(1 + r/n)^(nt), where A(t) is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of compounding periods per year, and t is the number of years. This formula takes into account the continuous growth of interest over time.

3. What are the benefits of using differential equations to calculate compound interest?

Using differential equations allows for a more accurate calculation of compound interest, as it takes into account the continuous growth of interest over time. This results in a more precise estimation of the final amount compared to using simple interest calculations.

4. How does the compounding frequency affect compound interest using differential equations?

The compounding frequency, or the number of times interest is added to the principal amount within a year, has a direct impact on the final amount earned through compound interest. The higher the compounding frequency, the faster the growth of the investment as interest is being added more frequently.

5. Can differential equations be used to calculate compound interest for any type of investment?

Yes, differential equations can be used to calculate compound interest for any type of investment as long as the compounding frequency and the interest rate remain constant. However, for investments with varying interest rates, differential equations may not be the most accurate method for calculating compound interest.