Compound Interest Homework: Amy vs Bob

In summary, Amy and Bob both deposited $1000 into accounts with 8% annual interest, but Amy's account compounds every 6 months while Bob's account compounds quarterly. After 6 months with no additional deposits or withdrawals, Bob will have $0.40 more in his account than Amy. This is because Bob's interest is compounded more frequently, resulting in a slightly higher amount.
zak100

Homework Statement

Amy deposited $1000 into an account that earns 8% annual interest compounded every 6 months. Bod deposited $1000 into an account that earns 8% annual interest compounded quarterly. If neither Amy nor Bob makes any additional deposits or withdrawals in 6 months, how much more money will Bob have in his account than Amy?

Homework Equations

A = P(1+r/n)^nt

The Attempt at a Solution

For Ammy[/B]
P=1000, t=1( annual), n=2 (compounded 6 months), r=8%=0.08
A= 1000(1+0.08/2)^2= 1000(1.04)^2=1.0816= 1081.6

Kindly tell why is the solution wrong?

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated how much money Amy will have after 1 year. The problem says, "in 6 months, how much more money will Bob have in his account than Amy?"

Hi,
I am to find correct value for Ammy:

P=1000, t=1( annual), n=1 (compounded 6 months and we are calculating only for the 1st period not the whole year), r=8%=0.08
A= 1000(1+0.08/2)^2= 1000(1.04)^1=1040
This is correct.
For Bob:P=1000, n=2(compounded quarterly , so 4 times but we have to calculate for 6 months so n=2, r=0.08, t=1

Now A = P (1 + r/n)^ (nt)

A= 1000(1 + 0.08/2)^(2*1)
This is giving a wrong answer. Some body please guide me

Zulfi.

Amy looks correct now. For Bob, it should be (1 + 0.08/4)^2.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

Amy deposited $1000 into an account that earns 8% annual interest compounded every 6 months. Bod deposited $1000 into an account that earns 8% annual interest compounded quarterly. If neither Amy nor Bob makes any additional deposits or withdrawals in 6 months, how much more money will Bob have in his account than Amy?

2. Homework Equations

A = P(1+r/n)^nt

The Attempt at a Solution

For Ammy[/B]
P=1000, t=1( annual), n=2 (compounded 6 months), r=8%=0.08
A= 1000(1+0.08/2)^2= 1000(1.04)^2=1.0816= 1081.6

Kindly tell why is the solution wrong?

Zulfi.
In your relevant equation section, What value should you use for t in both cases ?

A = P(1+r/n)nt

Last edited:
Hi,
I have used t=1 in both the cases, because it says "annual interest". I can't understand why n=4 in Bob case. It says quarterly so its 4 ( periods of interest of 3 months) but for 6 months we should have n=2 because there are 2 periods of 3 months.

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

If you get 8% interest per year, you only get 2% in 3 months, not 4%.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I have used t=1 in both the cases, because it says "annual interest". I can't understand why n=4 in Bob case. It says quarterly so its 4 ( periods of interest of 3 months) but for 6 months we should have n=2 because there are 2 periods of 3 months.

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.
t is the number of years. The question asks ".. in 6 months, how much more money will Bob have in his account than Amy?"

I'm pretty sure that 6 months is 1/2 year rather than i year, so t = 0.5, in both cases.

Hi,
Thanks. I have solved this problem.
For Amy:

A = the amount of money that Ammy has after 6 months, because the problem asks how much he has after 6 months.=?
P = the original amount of money that Amy invested (principal) -1000
r = the annual interest rate = ?? (that is a 12 month rate) =0.08
n = the number of times that interest is compounded per year = 2
t = the number of years the money is invested =.5A = P (1 + r/n)^ (nt)
A= 1000(1+0.08/2)^(2 *1/2)
A= 1000(1+0.04) ^1 = 1000 (1.04) = 1040

For Bob:
A = the amount of money that Bob has after 6 months, because the problem asks how much he has after 6 months.=?
P = the original amount of money that Amy invested (principal) -1000
r = the annual interest rate = ?? (that is a 12 month rate) =0.08
n = the number of times that interest is compounded per year = 4
t = the number of years the money is invested =.5
A = P (1 + r/n)^ (nt)
A= 1000(1+0.08/4)^(4*1/2) = 1000(1+0.02)^2 = 1000(1.02)^2 = 1.0404=1040.4
I think I am right this time.

Now difference =A=1040.4-1040=0.4

Zulfi.
Zulfi.

1. What is compound interest?

Compound interest is the addition of interest to the principal amount of a loan or investment. This results in the interest earned on the investment or loan increasing over time.

2. How does compound interest work?

Compound interest works by adding the interest earned on an investment or loan to the principal amount. This increases the total amount of money, which then earns more interest. This cycle continues, resulting in a higher overall return on the investment or a larger amount owed on the loan.

3. How is compound interest different from simple interest?

Compound interest is different from simple interest because it takes into account the interest earned on the initial investment or loan as well as the accumulated interest over time. Simple interest only calculates the interest on the initial amount.

4. How does the frequency of compounding affect compound interest?

The frequency of compounding refers to how often the interest is calculated and added to the principal amount. The more frequent the compounding, the higher the overall return on the investment or the amount owed on the loan. For example, daily compounding will result in a higher return than annual compounding.

5. How does the rate of interest impact compound interest?

The rate of interest is a crucial factor in compound interest as it determines the amount of interest earned or owed on an investment or loan. A higher interest rate will result in a larger return on the investment or a higher amount owed on the loan.