Comparison Test for Convergence of Integrals

In summary, the student is trying to determine if an integral of a function converges. They are given a function and asked to find a larger function that converges to the original. They are also asked to determine if the original function and a given function that is x^(-3/2) converge. The student's upper bound for the integral does not stay as infinity, and they are asked to explain why this is the case.
SamJay
Hey guys. I'm a little new on the comparison test, if you could just check that I'm on the right track, it would be great.

Homework Statement

Using comparison test to decide whether or not [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\ln{x} + x^2}[/tex] converges.

Homework Equations

(Check 3.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so first off, I guess that this converges. So find a function that is larger than the one that is given and test if that converges, yes?

Would: [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\ln{x} + x^2} < \frac{\sqrt{x}}{x^2}[/tex] be a good choice?

So would I be right in saying that as [tex]x^{-3/2}[/tex] converges, that also the one given converges?

I'm not sure if I've gotten this backwards or not. Could someone please clear it up for me?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, it doesn't make any sense to ask "whether [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\ln{x} + x^2}[/tex] converges". Do you mean to determine whether or not an integral of that converges? If so then you still need to specify whether you are asking about the improper integral [tex]\int_a^\infty \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\ln{x} + x^2} dx[/itex] with a> 0 or [tex]\int_0^a \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\ln{x} + x^2} dx[/itex], again with a> 0.

... Whoops. So sorry, forgot to include the integral.

But yes, check if the Integral converges. Sorry about that.

[tex]\int_1^\infty \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\ln{x} + x^2} dx[/itex]

Not sure why, but my upper bound won't stay as infinity. (Today's the first time I've used LaTeX.)

Bounds are 1 to Infinity.

Oh, and whenever I said in the first post whether or not things converge, it's when taking the limit as x approaches infinity. Sorry about not making that clear in the first post.

Last edited:
Your choice of x^(-3/2) to compare with is a good one. And yes, it works. You might want to pound that point in by saying why the inequality is true.

Alright, thanks. :)

I'll add in an extra step saying that x^2 < ln(x) + x^2 and explaining it. Thanks.

1. What is a Comprison test for Integrals?

The Comprison test for Integrals is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral. It involves comparing the given integral to a simpler integral whose convergence or divergence is already known.

2. How does the Comprison test for Integrals work?

The Comprison test works by comparing the given integral to a simpler integral with known convergence or divergence. If the simpler integral converges, then the original integral also converges. If the simpler integral diverges, then the original integral also diverges.

3. When should the Comprison test for Integrals be used?

The Comprison test should be used when the given integral is not easily recognizable or does not fit into any of the other convergence tests, such as the Integral Test or the Limit Comparison Test.

4. What are the necessary conditions for the Comprison test for Integrals to be applicable?

There are two necessary conditions for the Comprison test to be applicable. First, the integrand of the given integral must be positive. Second, the simpler integral used for comparison must also have a positive integrand.

5. Are there any limitations to the Comprison test for Integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Comprison test. It cannot be used for integrals with oscillating integrands or integrals with infinite limits of integration. It also cannot be used if the simpler integral is not easily integrable.