Compton Edge and Gamma Spectroscopy

In summary, you can measure the backscatter peak to get the Compton edge, but the edge is half way between the maximum and half of the height of the maximum. To find the edge, you need to know the width of the cesium gamma line and the resolution of the detector.
zeebo17
Hi,

I have measured some spectrums from various gamma sources and I was wondering what kind of fitting I should do to determine the Compton edge. I have access to Logger Pro, Excel, and mathematica. I have fit the photopeak with a Gaussian so I know the uncertainty in the Compton edge, I just need to determine its value.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zeebo-
This is a very good question, and there are two answers. One is called Compton edge, and the other is called the backscatter peak.

When a photon backscatters off a free electron, and leaves the detector (e..g, NaI(Tl)), only the energy of the Compton recoil electron remains in the detector (Compton edge). When a photon backscatters in the shielding around the detector, and the backscattered photon is absorbed by the detector, it creates a backscatter peak.

Let's solve this situation for a cesium-137 photon backscattering in or near the detector.

The basic equation for energy balance in Compton scattering is

E'/E0 = [1+α(1-cos(θ)]-1

where E' is scattered photon energy, E0 = 661 keV, α= E0/mc2 = 661/511 = 1.29, and θ = scattering energy.

So for this case, θ = 180 degrees,

E'/E0= [1+ 2.58]-1 = 0.28

So the backscattered photon is 0.28*661 = 185 KeV, (backscatter peak) and

Eelectron = 661 - 185 = 476 KeV (Compton edge)

Bob S

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I know the theoretical values for the various spectral features, but I was wondering how to determine my experimental result from the spectrum I have taken (Something more quantitative then eye-balling it).

I had seen some things that said the edge was half way between the maximum value (near the edge) and half of the height of this maximum. But I'm not sure how trustworthy this source is.

I'm also not sure how to find the Compton edges when there are two right next to each other.

Thanks for your help!

You know the detector resolution from the width of the cesium gamma line (661 KeV). So you can do a convolution of the theoretical Compton edge shape (need to integrate over scattering angle) and the detector resolution.
Bob S

1. What is a Compton edge in gamma spectroscopy?

A Compton edge is a feature in a gamma spectrum that represents the maximum energy that an electron can receive in a Compton scattering event. It is caused by the recoil of an electron after it interacts with a gamma ray.

2. How is the Compton edge used in gamma spectroscopy?

The Compton edge is used to determine the energy of a gamma ray. By measuring the energy of the Compton edge, the energy of the gamma ray that caused it can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect the position of the Compton edge?

The position of the Compton edge can be affected by the energy of the incoming gamma ray, the atomic number of the scattering material, and the angle at which the gamma ray interacts with the material.

4. What is the significance of the Compton edge in gamma spectroscopy analysis?

The Compton edge is an important feature in gamma spectra because it provides information about the energy of the gamma ray and can help identify the type of radioactive material emitting the gamma rays.

5. Can the Compton edge be used for quantitative analysis in gamma spectroscopy?

Yes, the Compton edge can be used for quantitative analysis by measuring the area under the Compton edge peak and comparing it to the area under other peaks in the spectrum. This can provide information about the concentration of radioactive material present in a sample.