Compton Scattering: X-ray 0.010nm, 180 Degrees

• Thread starter getcarter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ray
In summary, the problem involves X-rays of wavelength 0.010nm being directed onto a target with loosely bound electrons. One of the electrons undergoes Compton scattering at an angle of 180 degrees. The relevant equations are Lamda'-Lamda = [h/mc] (1-cos@) and \frac{h}{m_e c} = 2.43 \times 10^{-12}\,m. The question asks for the Compton shift, the corresponding change in photon energy, the kinetic energy of the recoiling electron, and the electron's direction of motion. The symbol @ represents theta, the angle of scattering.
getcarter
3) X-rays of wavelentgh 0.010nm are directed onto a target containing loosely bound electrons. For Compton scattering from one of those electrons, at an angle of 180 degrees, what are

a) the Compton shift,

b) the corresponding change in photon energy,

c) the kinetic energy of the recoiling electron, and

d) the electron's direction of motion?

Homework Equations

Lamda'-Lamda = [h/mc] (1-cos@)
\frac{h}{m_e c} = 2.43 \times 10^{-12}\,m

The Attempt at a Solution

p_{e'}^2c^2 = (hf + mc^2-hf')^2-m^2c^4

Physics news on Phys.org
getcarter said:
3) X-rays of wavelentgh 0.010nm are directed onto a target containing loosely bound electrons. For Compton scattering from one of those electrons, at an angle of 180 degrees, what are

a) the Compton shift,

b) the corresponding change in photon energy,

c) the kinetic energy of the recoiling electron, and

d) the electron's direction of motion?

Homework Equations

Lamda'-Lamda = [h/mc] (1-cos@)
\frac{h}{m_e c} = 2.43 \times 10^{-12}\,m

The Attempt at a Solution

p_{e'}^2c^2 = (hf + mc^2-hf')^2-m^2c^4

in your equation, for scattering at 180 degrees, what is "cos@" equal to?

relevants are above, i did not understand that you ask cos@,
sorry i don't understand the main idea of the question
and i need help.

getcarter said:
relevants are above, i did not understand that you ask cos@,
sorry i don't understand the main idea of the question
and i need help.

I am asking you this to determine whether or not you understand what the symbols in the equation are.
You wrote down something that says "cos@". Do you know what the symbol @ stands for?

i tried to show tetha, [degree of cos.]
sorry.

getcarter said:
i tried to show tetha, [degree of cos.]
sorry.

Yes. And in the statement of the problem, what number is theta equal to?

Related to Compton Scattering: X-ray 0.010nm, 180 Degrees

1. What is Compton Scattering?

Compton Scattering is a phenomenon where an incident photon collides with an electron, resulting in a decrease in the energy and an increase in the wavelength of the scattered photon.

2. What is the significance of X-ray 0.010nm in Compton Scattering?

The wavelength of the incident X-ray photon is crucial in Compton Scattering as it determines the amount of energy transferred to the electron and the resulting change in wavelength of the scattered photon.

3. Why is the angle of 180 degrees important in Compton Scattering?

The angle of 180 degrees refers to the backscattering of the scattered photon, where the direction of the scattered photon is opposite to that of the incident photon. This angle is important in determining the change in wavelength of the scattered photon.

4. How does Compton Scattering help in understanding the structure of matter?

Compton Scattering provides valuable information about the behavior of electrons in matter. By studying the change in wavelength and energy of the scattered photon, scientists can gain insights into the distribution and movement of electrons within a material, which can help in understanding its structure.

5. What are some practical applications of Compton Scattering?

Compton Scattering has various applications in fields such as materials science, medicine, and astronomy. It is used in X-ray spectroscopy to analyze the composition and structure of materials, in medical imaging techniques like CT scans, and in studying the properties of cosmic rays and gamma rays in astronomy.