1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational fluid dynamics: steady 2D flow

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    cfd.png

2. Relevant equations
    CFD

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm a bit confused by this question.

So at first what I do for the problem on the left, I find the changes in the velocities in X and and Y on all four sides.

I notice that the values on the diagram to the left are higher on top than they are on the bottom, therefore I conclude that v must be "up".
    I also notice that the values are higher on the right than they are on the left, therefore I conclude that u is to the right.

For the diagram on the right: I notice that bottom > top, therefore v is down.
    Right > left, therefore u is to the right.

Are these assumptions correct?

After that it's a fairly simple problem but this first step has me confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2
    I think what they want you to do is to find the y velocity components at the centers of the horizontal faces, and the x velocity components at the centers of the vertical faces, and then average to get the velocity components at the center of the cell.

Chet

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3
    I don't understand. The solution says "Ψtop>Ψbottom, therefore U is to the right" and "Ψright>Ψleft therefore V is down".
    This is completely counter intuitive and seems to be taken out of the thin air. What are they basing this on?

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4
    $$v_x=\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y}$$
    $$v_y=-\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}$$

6. Mar 10, 2015 #5
    That makes a million times more sense. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted