Calculating Height h from a Projectile Launched at A

In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the height of a projectile launched at an angle of 60 degrees with an initial velocity of 24 m/s and impacting a vertical wall, neglecting air resistance. The correct approach is to first find the time using the equations and then substitute for y to find the height in terms of x and θ.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

A projectile launched at A with an initial velocity of 24 m/s at the angle θ=60deg, impacts the vertical wall at B. Neglecting air resistance, calculate the height h

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my solution

Pytel_Dynamics038.jpg

Pytel_Dynamics039.jpg
As you can see to find height h I assumed that ##v_y=0## in the second of Eqs. (f) and solved for time.
Is this correct or should I have solved first equation of (g) to find time and then solve for y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexanddros81 said:
I assumed that ##v_y=0##
Then don't. There is no basis for such an assumption.
Yes, find t first.

Look at your equations labeled (e). The first equation can be used to find an expression for t in terms of x and θ. Substitute that in the second equation and you will have y as a function of x and θ. Substitute the given numbers for x and θ to find h.

Pytel_Dynamics043.jpg

Can you check this?

1. How do I calculate the height of a projectile launched at a given angle and initial velocity?

To calculate the height (h) of a projectile launched at a given angle (θ) and initial velocity (v0), you can use the formula h = (v02 * sin2θ)/(2g), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

2. Can I calculate the height of a projectile without knowing the initial velocity?

No, the initial velocity is a crucial component in calculating the height of a projectile. Without knowing the initial velocity, it is not possible to accurately determine the height.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the height of a projectile?

The angle of launch plays a significant role in determining the height of a projectile. The higher the angle, the higher the maximum height the projectile will reach. However, if the angle is too low, the projectile may not reach a significant height at all.

4. Does air resistance affect the calculation of height for a projectile?

Yes, air resistance can have an impact on the height calculation for a projectile. However, it is usually negligible for most practical purposes. If air resistance is a significant factor, it can be taken into account by using more complex equations.

5. Can the height of a projectile be greater than the initial height?

Yes, it is possible for the height of a projectile to be greater than the initial height if the angle of launch is high enough. This is because the projectile will reach a maximum height before falling back down. However, if the angle is too low, the projectile may not reach a height greater than the initial height.